Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can I solve two modules one by one?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone,
I am wondering if I have a model need magnetostatics analysis and structure analysis. I solve it using the magnetostatics then I click on the stored solution in solver manager. (I am using some global expressions, surface tensor for example) But then I use structure analysis, the value of the global expressions are missing...
why is that?

I am using static btw

Do I need to delete the magnetostatics when I use structure or just deactivate it?

Thanks for help!

2 Replies Last Post Aug 17, 2010, 11:41 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 7, 2009, 4:25 a.m. EDT
Hi

For "solver sequencing" you have several documented examples in the documenation of COMSOL (use the key word on an indexed scan of your pdf files, or html files) i.e. GUIDE.PDF p436 "the Solver Manager" or SMEMODLIB.pdf (V3.5a) page 214 (the application is different but the methodology is applicable by similarity), or page 525, or...

As you say, basically its: in the "initial Value" tab, select where to start (first on initial solutions, later on current solution or stored solution, which you have to store in between), then in the "Solve For" tab: you must first select the application mode to solve for, just highlight the one(s), the "output" tab you can generally leave as is, then hit "solve" (in the solver manager or on the GUI border), and get the first calculation done. Then I usually go into the "sequence" (last) tab in V3.5a to save the solver settings and store them in the sequencer, I use names such as 1_emqa_2D 2_smsld_3D ... for numbering, mode, and dimensions but you can use any name. Now, go back to the "Initial value" tab save the soution and select "stored solution", or use "currrent solution". In the "Solve For" tab I select my new mode to solve for and do a solve. Then back to the last tab to save the present set-up, and I loop for next solution (if applicable).

At the end I go to the last tab (Sequence) and select "Solve using solver sequence" and having introduced my steps into the right "Solver sequence window". Now next time I solve, it will automatically sequence through. Typical examples with emqa to smsld sequencing you get the resuls within minutes, while if you run the global simulation it could take hours.

Now do not foget that this implies single direction analysis, the results of the first simulation is kept "static" for the next ones and this might not be fully correct in all cases. But this is plenty to start to analyse a system.

Depending on what you want and how you set this up there is also the "segregated solver setting" in the Solver Parameter to play with, more reading and a few exercicies to do in the "GUIDE.PDF" document ;)

Good luck
Ivar
Hi For "solver sequencing" you have several documented examples in the documenation of COMSOL (use the key word on an indexed scan of your pdf files, or html files) i.e. GUIDE.PDF p436 "the Solver Manager" or SMEMODLIB.pdf (V3.5a) page 214 (the application is different but the methodology is applicable by similarity), or page 525, or... As you say, basically its: in the "initial Value" tab, select where to start (first on initial solutions, later on current solution or stored solution, which you have to store in between), then in the "Solve For" tab: you must first select the application mode to solve for, just highlight the one(s), the "output" tab you can generally leave as is, then hit "solve" (in the solver manager or on the GUI border), and get the first calculation done. Then I usually go into the "sequence" (last) tab in V3.5a to save the solver settings and store them in the sequencer, I use names such as 1_emqa_2D 2_smsld_3D ... for numbering, mode, and dimensions but you can use any name. Now, go back to the "Initial value" tab save the soution and select "stored solution", or use "currrent solution". In the "Solve For" tab I select my new mode to solve for and do a solve. Then back to the last tab to save the present set-up, and I loop for next solution (if applicable). At the end I go to the last tab (Sequence) and select "Solve using solver sequence" and having introduced my steps into the right "Solver sequence window". Now next time I solve, it will automatically sequence through. Typical examples with emqa to smsld sequencing you get the resuls within minutes, while if you run the global simulation it could take hours. Now do not foget that this implies single direction analysis, the results of the first simulation is kept "static" for the next ones and this might not be fully correct in all cases. But this is plenty to start to analyse a system. Depending on what you want and how you set this up there is also the "segregated solver setting" in the Solver Parameter to play with, more reading and a few exercicies to do in the "GUIDE.PDF" document ;) Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 17, 2010, 11:41 a.m. EDT
Hi
I have to solve acoustic pressure and heat transfer in a 3d model. The model is complicated and because of that I cannot solve it accurately (refining the mesh until I get an appropriate results).
I use absolute pressure (resulting from acoustic pressure) as a source term for heat transfer equations.
I solve acoustic and heat transfer equations in comsol simultaneously.
i want to know that can I use solver sequence or anything like that in comsol?
After I solve pressure I use the result of that and solve heat transfer equation.
If it possible please tell me how.
Any kindness answers would be appreciated
Regards,
Hi I have to solve acoustic pressure and heat transfer in a 3d model. The model is complicated and because of that I cannot solve it accurately (refining the mesh until I get an appropriate results). I use absolute pressure (resulting from acoustic pressure) as a source term for heat transfer equations. I solve acoustic and heat transfer equations in comsol simultaneously. i want to know that can I use solver sequence or anything like that in comsol? After I solve pressure I use the result of that and solve heat transfer equation. If it possible please tell me how. Any kindness answers would be appreciated Regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.