Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Local Current density

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi every one
I have started modelling lithium ion battery in Comsol. I am confused abut the current densities used in porous electrode model. Can any one tell me the difference in local current density, exchange current density and iv current. Also which current i am finding from Buttler Volmer equation
Thanks

4 Replies Last Post Dec 3, 2016, 4:43 a.m. EST

Posted: 7 years ago Oct 28, 2016, 2:13 a.m. EDT
Hi

Have you read carefully the pdf document coming along the tutorial?

Exchange current density is the inherent rate of an electrochemical reaction:

i0 = n·F·k0·(cO)^a·(cR)^(1-a), 0 < a < 1 (charge transfer coefficient)

Butler-Volmer gives you the local current density, but the measured current is an integral value over the whole electroactive area. That is the disadvantage of electrochemistry, i.e. current is not selective.

BR
Lasse
Hi Have you read carefully the pdf document coming along the tutorial? Exchange current density is the inherent rate of an electrochemical reaction: i0 = n·F·k0·(cO)^a·(cR)^(1-a), 0 < a < 1 (charge transfer coefficient) Butler-Volmer gives you the local current density, but the measured current is an integral value over the whole electroactive area. That is the disadvantage of electrochemistry, i.e. current is not selective. BR Lasse

Posted: 7 years ago Nov 1, 2016, 11:35 p.m. EDT
Sir Thank you for your reply.
But Sir I am confused of whether the local current density and exchange current density is on the particle surface of electrode or on the overall electrode?
Sir Thank you for your reply. But Sir I am confused of whether the local current density and exchange current density is on the particle surface of electrode or on the overall electrode?

Posted: 7 years ago Nov 2, 2016, 3:21 a.m. EDT

Sir Thank you for your reply.
But Sir I am confused of whether the local current density and exchange current density is on the particle surface of electrode or on the overall electrode?

Exchange current is not a directly measurable quantity. As I explained it is the measure of the rate of the electrode reaction. Although current were zero, i.e. the two terms in Butler-Volmer equation cancel each other out, there is exchange current. All electrochemical reactions take place on the surface.

Local current density is local, it can vary along the surface and it can be different at different parts of the electrolyte solution. This is known as the primary current distribution. Only with very specific experimental arrangements you can possibly measure the current distribution on the electrode surface. For example, grain boundaries are electrochemically more active than plateaus. A catalyst particle on the surface has a higher current density that its surroundings. That is why modeling is useful.
[QUOTE] Sir Thank you for your reply. But Sir I am confused of whether the local current density and exchange current density is on the particle surface of electrode or on the overall electrode? [/QUOTE] Exchange current is not a directly measurable quantity. As I explained it is the measure of the rate of the electrode reaction. Although current were zero, i.e. the two terms in Butler-Volmer equation cancel each other out, there is exchange current. All electrochemical reactions take place on the surface. Local current density is local, it can vary along the surface and it can be different at different parts of the electrolyte solution. This is known as the primary current distribution. Only with very specific experimental arrangements you can possibly measure the current distribution on the electrode surface. For example, grain boundaries are electrochemically more active than plateaus. A catalyst particle on the surface has a higher current density that its surroundings. That is why modeling is useful.

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 3, 2016, 4:43 a.m. EST
Thank You Sir for your reply
Thank You Sir for your reply

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.