Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Generating a wave with a single direction of propagation (RF Module)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

For various reasons, I need to excite the TEM mode of a coaxial cable using a "soft" source such that any reflected waves can pass through the source without interacting with it. In FDTD, this is achieved by simply specifying the electric and magnetic current densities appropriately such that a single wave which propagates in the +z direction is generated. This would appear to be possible (or so I thought) in FEM/COMSOL by specifying the electric field + surface current at a boundary in the coaxial structure.

However, when I attempt to do this, I find that two equal amplitude waves are generated in both the +z and -z directions. This would seem to imply that the electric field and surface current boundary conditions are not playing well together. This is highlighted by the fact that using just one or the other produces identical results.

This leads me to my question: how do I generate a desired wave that propagates in a single direction using the RF module?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

0 Replies Last Post Nov 29, 2016, 7:44 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Andy

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.