Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Acceleration missed in the transient modal analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I've got a little issue with comsol during the modellation of a relative simple problem.

I have a plate, impacted in the middle of its surface. I would like to make a simulation in two phases. The solid part of the plate, and the air around 20mm from the surface. In this way, I would like to simulate the acceleration of the plate, due to the impact, and the acoustic pressure in its prossimity.

What I particullary care is the damping of the material (5%), and the modal interaction due to materials, geometry and boundary conditions.

I tried the transient modal analysis, but for some reason that I miss, it gives me the displacemente and the velocity of the plate, but not the acceleration. Now, this is not a big issue, since I could derive the velocity plot in time to have the acceleration. The problem is about the acoustci pressure, that seems is not calculated as well as the acceleration.

I tried the only transient analysis too, but in this case the modal shapes neither the damping factor are considered. It returns acceleration and acoustic pressure, but they are strongly affected by the modal and damping errors.

Could someone help me and suggest the best way to simulate a problem relatively simple such this one?

Thank you very much in advance.

0 Replies Last Post Mar 20, 2017, 12:28 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Marco Scattarreggia

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.