Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Working with Comsol 3.5a version

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I'm trying to simulate my device and measure the voltage and temperate after shining light on it. I'm using 'Joule Heating' menu and I need to define some boundary conditions. According to tutorial for this version, I need to go to 'physics' menu and then find the 'boundary conditions' section. I can't find the 'physics' menu. Can any one help me with that?
Thanks!

5 Replies Last Post Aug 17, 2017, 2:52 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 16, 2017, 4:24 p.m. EDT
Hello Aria,
Are you sure you're using 3.5a? On my (Windows) installation, the Physics menu is right there in the menu bar.
Jeff
PS: In case you are indeed running 3.5a, for a million different reasons, consider updating to a less ancient version.
Hello Aria, Are you sure you're using 3.5a? On my (Windows) installation, the Physics menu is right there in the menu bar. Jeff PS: In case you are indeed running 3.5a, for a million different reasons, consider updating to a less ancient version.

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 17, 2017, 11:49 a.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago Aug 17, 2017, 11:51 a.m. EDT
Hi Jeff,

Yeah, I'm sure but all the toolbars haven't been installed.I need to define boundary conditions but I cannot find it anywhere. This is a PC in our lab and previous people used this software for their simulations and as boundary conditions are necessary in simulations, I believe it should be somewhere.
Hi Jeff, Yeah, I'm sure but all the toolbars haven't been installed.I need to define boundary conditions but I cannot find it anywhere. This is a PC in our lab and previous people used this software for their simulations and as boundary conditions are necessary in simulations, I believe it should be somewhere.

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 17, 2017, 2:40 p.m. EDT
Sorry, Aria, I am out of ideas. As far as I can recall - and admittedly I have not used 3.5a in many years - there is no way to disable the menu bar.
Can you post a screenshot of what the GUI looks like for you?
Jeff
Sorry, Aria, I am out of ideas. As far as I can recall - and admittedly I have not used 3.5a in many years - there is no way to disable the menu bar. Can you post a screenshot of what the GUI looks like for you? Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 17, 2017, 2:45 p.m. EDT
Yes, sure. It is attached.
Boundaries are shown in the left bottom corner but I can't define them.
Yes, sure. It is attached. Boundaries are shown in the left bottom corner but I can't define them.

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 17, 2017, 2:52 p.m. EDT
That's not version 3.5a. It's some flavor of version 4.
The GUI changed thoroughly at version 4.0, so you won't be able to follow instructions written for 3.5a with this 4.x installation.
Best,
Jeff
That's not version 3.5a. It's some flavor of version 4. The GUI changed thoroughly at version 4.0, so you won't be able to follow instructions written for 3.5a with this 4.x installation. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.