Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Poisson-Boltzmann Equation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

Anyone experienced in modelling a simple charge surface with Poisson-Boltzmann equation?

I follow this paper:
-Pham et al. "Numerical Simulation of the Electrical Double Layer Based on the Poisson-Boltzmann Models for AC Electroosmosis Flows",
-Built the model in Figure3, use equation (7),
-I couldnt reproduce figure 4, my potential profile is linear instead of exponential.

I upload my model, I appreciate your kind attention in this problem.

Best Regards,
yang

9 Replies Last Post Jun 25, 2010, 2:43 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Wee Yang NG

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Patrick Namy Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 25, 2010, 10:55 a.m. EDT
Dear Yang,

in your model, I think you simply forgot to multiply the bulk concentration by 10^3*NA (as explained in the second page of the article)

SO I advice you to define the constant c as 1e-2*1e3*6.022*10^23 and to refine your mesh near the boundary 1 to see the exponential...

Best,

Patrick

Dear All,

Anyone experienced in modelling a simple charge surface with Poisson-Boltzmann equation?

I follow this paper:
-Pham et al. "Numerical Simulation of the Electrical Double Layer Based on the Poisson-Boltzmann Models for AC Electroosmosis Flows",
-Built the model in Figure3, use equation (7),
-I couldnt reproduce figure 4, my potential profile is linear instead of exponential.

I upload my model, I appreciate your kind attention in this problem.

Best Regards,
yang

Dear Yang, in your model, I think you simply forgot to multiply the bulk concentration by 10^3*NA (as explained in the second page of the article) SO I advice you to define the constant c as 1e-2*1e3*6.022*10^23 and to refine your mesh near the boundary 1 to see the exponential... Best, Patrick [QUOTE] Dear All, Anyone experienced in modelling a simple charge surface with Poisson-Boltzmann equation? I follow this paper: -Pham et al. "Numerical Simulation of the Electrical Double Layer Based on the Poisson-Boltzmann Models for AC Electroosmosis Flows", -Built the model in Figure3, use equation (7), -I couldnt reproduce figure 4, my potential profile is linear instead of exponential. I upload my model, I appreciate your kind attention in this problem. Best Regards, yang [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 25, 2010, 11:18 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Why you did not use Poisson equation in Comsol to do so?? It would be easier for you (to understand) rather doing it with PDE. the Poisson equation was not really distinguished!!
As Patrick said, your model is missing lots of things: The Avogadro number, epsilon..etc
Note that the concentration in Comsol are expressed in Mol/m^3 so be careful with that.
Also, Pham et.al., used two different PB equation : the classical one and the modified PB (take a look to the reference of Bazant)
This means that your applied potential should not be so high!!!
I have attached a PB model. you can take a look and try to understand, it is quite easy.

Good luck
Hi, Why you did not use Poisson equation in Comsol to do so?? It would be easier for you (to understand) rather doing it with PDE. the Poisson equation was not really distinguished!! As Patrick said, your model is missing lots of things: The Avogadro number, epsilon..etc Note that the concentration in Comsol are expressed in Mol/m^3 so be careful with that. Also, Pham et.al., used two different PB equation : the classical one and the modified PB (take a look to the reference of Bazant) This means that your applied potential should not be so high!!! I have attached a PB model. you can take a look and try to understand, it is quite easy. Good luck

Patrick Namy Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 26, 2010, 4:14 a.m. EDT
Hi Faycal,

Actually, Yang did use the epsilon number, but you dont see it because he converted the value numerically (see the value of c)...
expect of the fact that he didnt convert the unit with the avogadro number, his model seems ok to me...

Best,
Patrick

Hi,

Why you did not use Poisson equation in Comsol to do so?? It would be easier for you (to understand) rather doing it with PDE. the Poisson equation was not really distinguished!!
As Patrick said, your model is missing lots of things: The Avogadro number, epsilon..etc
Note that the concentration in Comsol are expressed in Mol/m^3 so be careful with that.
Also, Pham et.al., used two different PB equation : the classical one and the modified PB (take a look to the reference of Bazant)
This means that your applied potential should not be so high!!!
I have attached a PB model. you can take a look and try to understand, it is quite easy.

Good luck

Hi Faycal, Actually, Yang did use the epsilon number, but you dont see it because he converted the value numerically (see the value of c)... expect of the fact that he didnt convert the unit with the avogadro number, his model seems ok to me... Best, Patrick [QUOTE] Hi, Why you did not use Poisson equation in Comsol to do so?? It would be easier for you (to understand) rather doing it with PDE. the Poisson equation was not really distinguished!! As Patrick said, your model is missing lots of things: The Avogadro number, epsilon..etc Note that the concentration in Comsol are expressed in Mol/m^3 so be careful with that. Also, Pham et.al., used two different PB equation : the classical one and the modified PB (take a look to the reference of Bazant) This means that your applied potential should not be so high!!! I have attached a PB model. you can take a look and try to understand, it is quite easy. Good luck [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 30, 2010, 12:30 a.m. EDT
Hi Patrick and Faycal,

Thank you both for your tips.
With the model i posted earlier, if i just multiply by *Na*10e3, i would have gotten a exponential profile.
But if i add divide by /esp0*espr to the equation, the profile would be linear.

I have read Faycal model, it is very well defined ;)
But, if i try to change my existing model to Faycal's parameter, seems like the solution is not correct.
I posted the model i.e. PB_eqn (2)

Also, i try to write a new model with Poisson (poeq) duplicating Faycal's example, again i cant get it to converge.
Due to the large file size, I posted the model before mesh and solve i.e. Repeat_Faycal

Any comments or reason why i cant get them to run correctly?

Regards,
yang
Hi Patrick and Faycal, Thank you both for your tips. With the model i posted earlier, if i just multiply by *Na*10e3, i would have gotten a exponential profile. But if i add divide by /esp0*espr to the equation, the profile would be linear. I have read Faycal model, it is very well defined ;) But, if i try to change my existing model to Faycal's parameter, seems like the solution is not correct. I posted the model i.e. PB_eqn (2) Also, i try to write a new model with Poisson (poeq) duplicating Faycal's example, again i cant get it to converge. Due to the large file size, I posted the model before mesh and solve i.e. Repeat_Faycal Any comments or reason why i cant get them to run correctly? Regards, yang

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 30, 2010, 2:43 a.m. EDT
Your equation was WRONG. It should read like this
(-2*e*N*z*Cb/er*e0)*sinh(z*e*u/(k*T))

instead of
(-2*e*N*z*Cb/er*e0)*sinh(z*e*u/k*T).

Two more comments:
1. All your variables have no units. It is easy to make mistakes if you are solving complicated physical problems.
2. You used free mesh parameters to refine the mesh at all boundaries. This is totally unnecessary for such a simple problem.

Hope the attached file can help.

Best,

Hainan
Your equation was WRONG. It should read like this (-2*e*N*z*Cb/er*e0)*sinh(z*e*u/(k*T)) instead of (-2*e*N*z*Cb/er*e0)*sinh(z*e*u/k*T). Two more comments: 1. All your variables have no units. It is easy to make mistakes if you are solving complicated physical problems. 2. You used free mesh parameters to refine the mesh at all boundaries. This is totally unnecessary for such a simple problem. Hope the attached file can help. Best, Hainan

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 30, 2010, 3:51 a.m. EDT
Hi Hainan,

Thank you very much for looking through and correcting my code.
Sorry for the poor documentation of the file, i was trying to do a quick one to compare with Faycal's.

I go through the equation, i think i have another mistake, should be
(-2*e*N*z*Cb/(er*e0))*sinh(z*e*u/(k*T))

With the first correction (k*T), the profile is exponential.
But with the second correction (er*e0), the profile is linear again.

Regards,
yang
Hi Hainan, Thank you very much for looking through and correcting my code. Sorry for the poor documentation of the file, i was trying to do a quick one to compare with Faycal's. I go through the equation, i think i have another mistake, should be (-2*e*N*z*Cb/(er*e0))*sinh(z*e*u/(k*T)) With the first correction (k*T), the profile is exponential. But with the second correction (er*e0), the profile is linear again. Regards, yang

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 30, 2010, 3:08 p.m. EDT
You had one more mistake. The free space permitivity should be:
e0=8.854*10^(-12) [A^2*s^4/(kg*m^3)]

You missed the minus sign... After correcting this, you will exponential drop. Be careful!

Hainan
You had one more mistake. The free space permitivity should be: e0=8.854*10^(-12) [A^2*s^4/(kg*m^3)] You missed the minus sign... After correcting this, you will exponential drop. Be careful! Hainan

Vaitheeswaran Gnanaraj

Posted: 1 decade ago May 19, 2010, 12:49 a.m. EDT
Hello R. Faycal Hamou
I have tried to reproduce your model with Helmholtz PDE model model. But I have not get the results obtained by you. Can you help me what is wrong with my model.

Hello R. Faycal Hamou I have tried to reproduce your model with Helmholtz PDE model model. But I have not get the results obtained by you. Can you help me what is wrong with my model.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 25, 2010, 2:43 a.m. EDT
Hi all,
i am working on dielectrophoresis of CNT and for that i need to solve the poisson's equation for the electrodes of any geometry in 3-D space.and export the solution to Matlab in a 200*200*200 grid.
can you tell me how can i solve this problem in comsol 4.0.

Regards
Gaurav
Hi all, i am working on dielectrophoresis of CNT and for that i need to solve the poisson's equation for the electrodes of any geometry in 3-D space.and export the solution to Matlab in a 200*200*200 grid. can you tell me how can i solve this problem in comsol 4.0. Regards Gaurav

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.