Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Internal flow-induced vibration of a pipe

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The required: Analysis the dynamic behaviour of the pipe (case one: Clamped supports of pipe ends, case two: Simple supports of pipe ends) as a result of flowing a fluid (FIV: FLUID-INDUCED VIBRATION), by using COMSOL Multiphysics software.

The dynamic behaviour of the pipe include: • Natural frequency. • Mode shapes of the pipe-fluid system. • Stresses. • The critical velocity of the fluid that lead to instability of the system (pipe-fluid).

I tried to simulate these cases by selecting Fluid -Structure interaction (FSI) module and time dependent, in 3D, but I suffered some problems such as: 1. How I can the boundary conditions of support type of the pipe ends? 2. How I combined the fluid inside the pipe? 3. The mesh step, its involve only the pipe, or the pipe- fluid system?

Note: I solved these cases by using a theoretical model, and I need to compare the analysis results for this model with numerical method, thus, I choose COMSOL to do that.

0 Replies Last Post Jun 5, 2018, 3:43 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Adel Alnoor

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.