Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating the magnetic field distribution around current carrying traces

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMSOL community,

I just started to work with the software a few months ago for my Master's thesis and the last few weeks I am stuck due to several problem. My goal is to simulate the magnetic field distribution around x parallel traces to search for a proper placement for a AMR.

To become used with the software I started simulating the case in 2D with two parallel traces made from copper and surrounded by air with an applied external current density such that a current of 20A flows. In the .pdf file, I attached, there are the results from COMSOL. At higher frequencies >10kHz the skin effect is visible, but I think the COMSOL results must be wrong, because the max. value of the magnetic field is decreasing. In my understanding it should increase with increasing frequency. Thus is compared COMSOL to FEMM simulations and them seem to make more sense. So, the first question is:

1. Has anyone any idea what might be my mistake? How can I change the COMSOL simulation to get more realistic results?

Moreover, I extended the simulations to 3D and since the applied external current density did not work well, I decided to use Lumped Ports as current input.

1. Is this a proper choice or are there better opportunities to make a current run through the copper traces?

Using 3D I have the problem that the simulations always converges below about 100kHz.

1. Does anyone know why the simulation always converge once the frequencies come below about 100kHz?

The final problem is related to the traces height. Once I decrease the height into the um range, the simulations always converge, too.

1. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

I am looking forward to your replies. If you want to send me a mail, usw alauer2@uncc.edu I hope there is someone out there who can help me!

Best wishes, Andreas Lauer

0 Replies Last Post Jun 23, 2018, 4:58 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Andreas Lauer

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.