Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to set a maximum temperature

Carl Philipp Benthaus

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey! I have a model with a heat source heating up a cylindrical workpiece. I also considered the energy necceserary to change from solid to melted and from melted to evaporated material. Some parts of this workpiece exceed now during the process the evaporation temperature by far. But this is nonsense, because obviously it cannot, because the evaporated material is being removed from the workpiece. Now is the question: How can I set up a maximum temperature for my material?

Thanks in advance!

Carl

1 Reply Last Post Jul 25, 2018, 7:07 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago Jul 25, 2018, 7:07 a.m. EDT

Hi Carl,

You can go to: "Model 1" -> right click on "Definitions" -> "Component Couplings" -> "Maximum". In here, select the domain that you want to evaluate the maximum. To use this as a boundary condition take not of the name that COMSOL gives to your operator, by default it is "maxop1". In your BC you can use an if condition: if(maxop1(T)>300 [K], A,B). Note that when you define the maximum operator you can choose how COMSOL evaluates it, by default it is set to "node points", which means it evaluates just the nodes of your mesh (don't know much about the others, sorry). It is important to bare in mind that your should have a good mesh and a well-defined problem in order to know that your maximum is not just a hotspot but it indeed represents the physical results of your problem.

Best, Nichal

Hi Carl, You can go to: "Model 1" -> right click on "Definitions" -> "Component Couplings" -> "Maximum". In here, select the domain that you want to evaluate the maximum. To use this as a boundary condition take not of the name that COMSOL gives to your operator, by default it is "maxop1". In your BC you can use an if condition: if(maxop1(T)>300 [K], A,B). Note that when you define the maximum operator you can choose how COMSOL evaluates it, by default it is set to "node points", which means it evaluates just the nodes of your mesh (don't know much about the others, sorry). It is important to bare in mind that your should have a good mesh and a well-defined problem in order to know that your maximum is not just a hotspot but it indeed represents the physical results of your problem. Best, Nichal

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.