Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Charged particle tracing in combination with a changing electric field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I would like to combine a charged particle tracing with an evolving electric field between two plates. The issue I have, is that I have no idea how to implement an electric field as a function of time to distract the particle inside of the capacitor.

Any suggestions or ideas to simulate it in a proper way?

Best Dennis

3 Replies Last Post Aug 21, 2018, 9:01 a.m. EDT

Posted: 6 years ago Aug 20, 2018, 3:43 a.m. EDT

Hi,

COMSOL software supports t variable as time.

So, if you want to consider a value as a function of time,

1. setup function in Definitions > Functions
  2. use the function(function name) in a boundary condition you want

If you use Piecewise function, Function name is pw1 by default, and you can setup pw1(t) in boundary condition.

Thanks. Kim

Hi, COMSOL software supports **t** variable as time. So, if you want to consider a value as a function of time, 1. setup function in Definitions > Functions 2. use the function(function name) in a boundary condition you want If you use Piecewise function, Function name is **pw1** by default, and you can setup **pw1(t)** in boundary condition. Thanks. Kim

Posted: 6 years ago Aug 20, 2018, 8:57 a.m. EDT

Hi, thanks a lot! I implanted the Piecewise function, but i can't see any sweep in the study and when I add the Electrostatic Physics interface to the time dependent step in my study I get an error : "Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged.".

Thanks in advance, Dennis

Hi, thanks a lot! I implanted the Piecewise function, but i can't see any sweep in the study and when I add the Electrostatic Physics interface to the time dependent step in my study I get an error : "Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged.". Thanks in advance, Dennis

Posted: 6 years ago Aug 21, 2018, 9:01 a.m. EDT

Hi, thanks a lot! I implanted the Piecewise function, but i can't see any sweep in the study and when I add the Electrostatic Physics interface to the time dependent step in my study I get an error : "Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged.".

Thanks in advance, Dennis

Okay, I solved the problem. The piecewise function worked perfect, but I had to add the Electrostatic Physics interface to the time dependent step in my study and for this combination the absolute tolerance in the time-dependent solver was to low and couldn't converged. For higher tolerances and bigger time steps everything is working fine!

>Hi, >thanks a lot! I implanted the Piecewise function, but i can't see any sweep in the study and when I add the Electrostatic Physics interface to the time dependent step in my study I get an error : >"Failed to find consistent initial values. >Last time step is not converged.". > >Thanks in advance, >Dennis Okay, I solved the problem. The piecewise function worked perfect, but I had to add the Electrostatic Physics interface to the time dependent step in my study and for this combination the absolute tolerance in the time-dependent solver was to low and couldn't converged. For higher tolerances and bigger time steps everything is working fine!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.