Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculating AC capacitance between multi-electrodes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am very new to comsol. As depicted in title, my problem is related to calculating capacitance (AC signal condition) between electrodes. Please refer the below figure for clarity.

figure figure link

The situation I'd like to simulate is as follows:

(1) Apply exciation signal (e.g. 6Vpp, 1MHz sinusoidal) to an electrode. Let's say the electrode marked 1 is set to the exciation electrode.

(2) Detect the capacitvely coupled signal to another electrode. From electrode makred 2, for instance.

(3) All the other electrodes are set to ground.

My question here is: "How can I assign the domain terminals and/or boundary condition for exciation, detection, and grounded electrodes?"

I tried to get some hints from basic comsol tutorials. I found examples of calculating maxwell capacitances (or admittances) under stationary and frequency domain with 2-electrode parallel plate capacitor. In those situations, assigning the terminals looks quite straightforward since there are only two. And it seems that specifying the capacitance 'between the top & bottom electrodes' are not clearly stated during evalutaion procedure and just trated as global parameter (I'm not sure this is correct).

So I am still confused how I can set appropriate domain/boundary physics in my case. I think the exciation terminal should be set as 'terminal'. Then what about the detection & ground electrodes? All 0V terminals for detection & ground electrodes? or boundary conditions for ground electrodes?

Under a appropriate conditioning, how I can evaluate the local capacitance between excitation - detection electrodes is also ambiguous.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

SJ

1 Reply Last Post Jan 25, 2019, 8:23 p.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Jan 25, 2019, 8:23 p.m. EST

I found some great examples by myself. For whom might have similar question, I share the links for the sources here. Please refer below article and tutorial.

(1) How to Calculate a Capacitance Matrix in COMSOL Multiphysics®

(2) Modeling a Capacitive Position Sensor Using FEM

I found some great examples by myself. For whom might have similar question, I share the links for the sources here. Please refer below article and tutorial. (1) [How to Calculate a Capacitance Matrix in COMSOL Multiphysics®](https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-calculate-a-capacitance-matrix-in-comsol-multiphysics/) (2) [Modeling a Capacitive Position Sensor Using FEM](https://www.comsol.com/model/download/453671/models.acdc.capacitive_position_sensor.pdf)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.