Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

4-point probe measurement in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

For an experiment I am measurering the impedance of a piece of conductive rubber with a 4-point measurement (see the schematic image and picture of the set-up). I am trying to simulate this in COMSOL as well (to see what the stray fields are, since they affect the measured capacitance). How can the capacitance between the two inner electrodes be determined if the outer electrodes supply a voltage. The outer electrodes are set to 0V and 10mV respectively while the inner electrodes are used to measure the impedance. Since I am trying to determine the resistivity and permittivity of the sample, I only need to measure/simulate the resistance and capacitance (hence a DC simulation can be used). For now I used the electrostatics module and made the inner electrodes the terminals. In that way I can determine a capacitance, however in this way it represents a 2-point measurement and not the actual set-up (I expect this to yield different fringe fields at the outer ends of the sample). So is there a way to simulate a 4-point measurement (in COMSOL 4.3)?

Thanks for your suggestions beforehand! (I do not seem to be able to get a MPH file smaller than 5-MB for uploading)

0 Replies Last Post Feb 11, 2019, 7:04 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alexander Dijkshoorn

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.