Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to prescribe displacement amplitude

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all

Is it possible to prescribe the displacement amplitude of a boundary in XYZ coordinate? For instance, in the attached file I try to change the amplitude by scaling the "Prescribed in y direction" by a factor of 1000 but the amplitude is still the same.

Derry

3 Replies Last Post Apr 9, 2019, 4:55 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Apr 8, 2019, 8:33 a.m. EDT

Hi Derry,

Deformation plots are automatically scaled, so for a linear problem two plots that differ only by the magnitude of the deformations can look very similar but if you plot the displacements and look at the color scale you should see that they are in fact different in their magnitudes.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Derry, Deformation plots are automatically scaled, so for a linear problem two plots that differ only by the magnitude of the deformations can look very similar but if you plot the displacements and look at the color scale you should see that they are in fact different in their magnitudes. Best, Jeff

Posted: 5 years ago Apr 9, 2019, 4:52 p.m. EDT

Hi Jeff:

Thanks a lot! Just checked that indeed it is true. Didn't expect that, but it is a cool feature.

If I really want to visualize unscaled deformation, i.e. the unscaled deformed geometry, how can I do so?

Thanks, Derry

Hi Jeff: Thanks a lot! Just checked that indeed it is true. Didn't expect that, but it is a cool feature. If I really want to visualize unscaled deformation, i.e. the unscaled deformed geometry, how can I do so? Thanks, Derry

Posted: 5 years ago Apr 9, 2019, 4:55 p.m. EDT

OK I found the answer, just change the Scale factor in the Defomation settings

OK I found the answer, just change the Scale factor in the Defomation settings

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.