Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling Shape Memory Effect

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Comsolers,

I am analyzing the bending of a shape memory alloy beam. For modeling the shape memory effect I am using the SME physic from COMSOL 5.3a ( the Lagoudas model). First a moment is applied and after the unloading process the heating starts. The heating is with a temperature above Af for complete shape recovery. But I encounter a problem with the magnitude of the moment. The study solves only for small moments for which the material does not transform to martensite. For greater moments I receive an error that the computed plastic multiplier is negative. Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem and how to be able to increase the load without receiving the aforementioned errors?

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Jovana Jovanova

1 Reply Last Post May 17, 2019, 11:39 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago May 17, 2019, 11:39 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago May 17, 2019, 11:40 a.m. EDT

I encountered the same problem. I have tried different loading pressure range. The "The computed plastic multiplier is negative." error is still there. But the moment magnitute is different.

Did you solve this problem yet?

Best,

Yao Xu

I encountered the same problem. I have tried different loading pressure range. The "The computed plastic multiplier is negative." error is still there. But the moment magnitute is different. Did you solve this problem yet? Best, Yao Xu

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.