Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time required for simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I have a model which has been solved. I need to know if i can find out the time taken to solve it.. How do u find the solution time.. I dont wish to solve it again.

6 Replies Last Post Dec 7, 2016, 10:20 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 28, 2009, 1:58 p.m. EST
Hi

Normally the time to solve is reported in the lower info window, but I beleive its only there and dissapears once you close COMSOL, in fact I cannot find it in the log file either (Solve - View Log) where I expected to find it too.

By the way by default the logfile is deleted upon closing COMSOL, except if you say otherwise in the (Options Preferences)

Seems that you must recalculate again, or try support there might be a hidden variable, you could also suggest to add the execution time to the log file, where it really belongs

Good luck
Ivar
Hi Normally the time to solve is reported in the lower info window, but I beleive its only there and dissapears once you close COMSOL, in fact I cannot find it in the log file either (Solve - View Log) where I expected to find it too. By the way by default the logfile is deleted upon closing COMSOL, except if you say otherwise in the (Options Preferences) Seems that you must recalculate again, or try support there might be a hidden variable, you could also suggest to add the execution time to the log file, where it really belongs Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 26, 2011, 6:57 p.m. EST

By the way by default the logfile is deleted upon closing COMSOL, except if you say otherwise in the (Options Preferences)

Seems that you must recalculate again, or try support there might be a hidden variable, you could also suggest to add the execution time to the log file, where it really belongs

I was also trying to determine the solution time after I had closed a model file. Very strange this is not logged, and that the log is not kept by default. I think there should be an option to automatically create a log file for each model file when it is solved or attempted to be solved.
[QUOTE] By the way by default the logfile is deleted upon closing COMSOL, except if you say otherwise in the (Options Preferences) Seems that you must recalculate again, or try support there might be a hidden variable, you could also suggest to add the execution time to the log file, where it really belongs [/QUOTE] I was also trying to determine the solution time after I had closed a model file. Very strange this is not logged, and that the log is not kept by default. I think there should be an option to automatically create a log file for each model file when it is solved or attempted to be solved.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 27, 2011, 1:20 a.m. EST
Hi

if I remember right this was the case in 3.5, but in v4 it's now in the Study - ...- solver section node

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if I remember right this was the case in 3.5, but in v4 it's now in the Study - ...- solver section node -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 6, 2016, 11:08 a.m. EST

[...] you could also suggest to add the execution time to the log file, where it really belongs

I'm interested in the intermediate steps too, to decide whether to kill the simulation or nor.
How can I save the log in an external accessible file?
Something like the attached image.

It would be great!

thanks
[QUOTE] By the way by default the logfile is deleted upon closing COMSOL, except if you say otherwise in the (Options Preferences) [...] you could also suggest to add the execution time to the log file, where it really belongs [/QUOTE] I'm interested in the intermediate steps too, to decide whether to kill the simulation or nor. How can I save the log in an external accessible file? Something like the attached image. It would be great! thanks

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 6, 2016, 3:16 p.m. EST
I believe that information you are interested is always there in solver node log window. click on Solver node within study node to find out the information.
I believe that information you are interested is always there in solver node log window. click on Solver node within study node to find out the information.

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 7, 2016, 10:20 a.m. EST
The model builder tree is not accessible during the solution.
Is there any file with this info stored?
Or is it possible to force Comsol to write something somewhere at each solution step?

thank you!
The model builder tree is not accessible during the solution. Is there any file with this info stored? Or is it possible to force Comsol to write something somewhere at each solution step? thank you!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.