Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Hi, I wanna ask about self-contact problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'd like to calculate some problems related with self-contact elastic structures.
The structure is very simple. The rectangular donut is pressed from its one outer side assuming 2D structure.
The material has very low Young's modulus (6 MPa) so it is easily deformed and touched each other at inner rectangular area. But, the result is different from what I have expected.
The upper side in the inner rectangular penetrated into the lower side of the rectangular.
I've set contact pair and Tn=0 for contact initial setting. Also I did manual scaling in solver.

Is there any thing to resolve this one? Or if you have any examples regarding this problem, please let me know. The self-contact rubber structure presented in the animated example in this web site is closely similar to my problem, but there is no document about it.

Thank you in advance. Have great holidays.

Best regards,
Yun-Ho Jang

2 Replies Last Post Apr 9, 2011, 10:45 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 7, 2010, 3:52 p.m. EST
Hi all,
I've solved the problem. The frame was not properly set in the post-processing dialog box.
If you have contact problems and penetration that you did not intended, please check the
frame is set as reference.

Thank you
Hi all, I've solved the problem. The frame was not properly set in the post-processing dialog box. If you have contact problems and penetration that you did not intended, please check the frame is set as reference. Thank you

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 9, 2011, 10:45 p.m. EDT
Hello, Yun-Ho!

I am dealing with structural mechnical model with contact. There are many problems, and now the problem is :
"No convergence, even when using the minimum damping factor. Return solution has not cnverged." I know the reasons are various.

I try to modify the scaling factor of the solver variables ,such as u, v, w, Tn, Tx....

But I don't know the approximate order of magnitude of all the solution components. Can you give me some advices?

I have been beset with the contact problem for long time. And I really any help!

Thank you in advance!

Yajuan
Hello, Yun-Ho! I am dealing with structural mechnical model with contact. There are many problems, and now the problem is : "No convergence, even when using the minimum damping factor. Return solution has not cnverged." I know the reasons are various. I try to modify the scaling factor of the solver variables ,such as u, v, w, Tn, Tx.... But I don't know the approximate order of magnitude of all the solution components. Can you give me some advices? I have been beset with the contact problem for long time. And I really any help! Thank you in advance! Yajuan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.