Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Importing Sysnoise code into COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

Just wanted to check - is COMSOL only compatible with MATLAB codes?

Does anyone know if it is possible to import a Sysnoise code into COMSOL?

Cheers,

Eileen

1 Reply Last Post Dec 29, 2009, 5:17 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 29, 2009, 5:17 a.m. EST
Hi

From what I know COMSOL interact with a few CAD via dll's to exchange geometry data, even bidirectionally; it interfaces with matlab, also via dll's, because it was initially written as a toolbox for matlab, hence have a similar internal syntax, and the data structures can be easily interfaced, this has evolved drastically the last years, and I believe COMSOL as fully independent of matlab today, but keeping a good link.

Comsol can further import mesh geometry, and partially transfor them into "COMSOL" geometry, such as node lists files, but also NASTRAN neutral files, this I have played with. For the latter the material properties, groups and other FEM structures etc are not well imported, specially for shell or beam elements, somewhat better for solids. Nothing for ANSYS exchange unfortunately.

So it depends how you want to interact with SYSNOISE, but I suspect you must write your translator yourself, at least then you know what it does.

Last time I tried to write a NASTRAN and ANSYS to Comsol translator I failed, in the sens, my large FEM files were to heavy, and the matlab code I used crashed the PC, so I came to the conclusion that I need to write it in C or a better low level code, basically it's "just" text parsing and data table lookup, with some logic above, but it gets quickly hughe in RAM requirements, when you have "real engineering" problems with complex geometries.

Good luck, and keep us informed if you find out more
Ivar
Hi From what I know COMSOL interact with a few CAD via dll's to exchange geometry data, even bidirectionally; it interfaces with matlab, also via dll's, because it was initially written as a toolbox for matlab, hence have a similar internal syntax, and the data structures can be easily interfaced, this has evolved drastically the last years, and I believe COMSOL as fully independent of matlab today, but keeping a good link. Comsol can further import mesh geometry, and partially transfor them into "COMSOL" geometry, such as node lists files, but also NASTRAN neutral files, this I have played with. For the latter the material properties, groups and other FEM structures etc are not well imported, specially for shell or beam elements, somewhat better for solids. Nothing for ANSYS exchange unfortunately. So it depends how you want to interact with SYSNOISE, but I suspect you must write your translator yourself, at least then you know what it does. Last time I tried to write a NASTRAN and ANSYS to Comsol translator I failed, in the sens, my large FEM files were to heavy, and the matlab code I used crashed the PC, so I came to the conclusion that I need to write it in C or a better low level code, basically it's "just" text parsing and data table lookup, with some logic above, but it gets quickly hughe in RAM requirements, when you have "real engineering" problems with complex geometries. Good luck, and keep us informed if you find out more Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.