Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Swept meshing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am trying to create a swept mesh by selecting each subdomain layer one by one and meshing from source face to target face.

I am able to achieve this with all of the subdomains, but each of them come with a note once the mesh is completed saying "Warning: low minimum element quality"

Does anyone know what this means and if it will affect the simulation?

Also, there is one subdomain layer which refuses to be meshed and it is similar to all the other layers so I am confused as to why it doesn't work.

The error sign it reads says

Error: 4145
Failed to copy mesh from source edges to target edges.
- Face: 20
Mesh on source and target edge do not match.
- Edge: 28
- Edge: 26

Can anyone explain what I should be trying to fix regarding the error message?

Many thanks!

Eileen

2 Replies Last Post Jan 4, 2010, 2:11 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 4, 2010, 1:56 a.m. EST
Hi

low mesh quality could be a problem later, indeed, it meas really that the shapes of the elements is very uneven. You can get some further info if you look at the mesh statistics (mesh tab). This would often lead to "inverted elements" which is another warning that will indicate that your results may be wrong. But there is no straight rule to tell how wrong.

Fo sweep mesh thre are many (logical) restrictions, as COMSOl cannot really tell how a surface evolves from the "source" to the "target" surface, it assumes a linear relations, and basically copies the mesh over, so if the area do not match, or if here are may elements on several borders it might get confused. Sometimes a namuel selection of the edges/boundaries helps.

Mainly sweep mesh means that if the geometry is made by a "sweep" it should work, if not you must "cut" your geometries into smaller parts (a few interiour boundaries is not making it much heavier) so that the concept of swept geometry is there.

In general I always cut my geoemtries, to respect symmetries and to extract parts needing detailed meshing, all this in my CAD prgramme, as this makes it so much easier to mesh the full system.

Good luck
Ivar
Hi low mesh quality could be a problem later, indeed, it meas really that the shapes of the elements is very uneven. You can get some further info if you look at the mesh statistics (mesh tab). This would often lead to "inverted elements" which is another warning that will indicate that your results may be wrong. But there is no straight rule to tell how wrong. Fo sweep mesh thre are many (logical) restrictions, as COMSOl cannot really tell how a surface evolves from the "source" to the "target" surface, it assumes a linear relations, and basically copies the mesh over, so if the area do not match, or if here are may elements on several borders it might get confused. Sometimes a namuel selection of the edges/boundaries helps. Mainly sweep mesh means that if the geometry is made by a "sweep" it should work, if not you must "cut" your geometries into smaller parts (a few interiour boundaries is not making it much heavier) so that the concept of swept geometry is there. In general I always cut my geoemtries, to respect symmetries and to extract parts needing detailed meshing, all this in my CAD prgramme, as this makes it so much easier to mesh the full system. Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 4, 2010, 2:11 a.m. EST
Thanks Ivar for your very detailed reply.

I will give it a go!
Thanks Ivar for your very detailed reply. I will give it a go!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.