Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Non-periodic Photonic Bandgap Analysis - Is it possible?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Happy New Year everyone. I am trying to preform band gap analysis of a non-periodic photonic crystal. I essentially trying replicate band gap analysis of a photonic crystal model that is done by Comsol, but I have pillars that are not periodic (they are aperiodic).

Anyone have any ideas on if this is possible? Any recommendations on papers or ideas on how to tweak the sample model.

I will repost updates on how it goes. Any suggestions are welcome.

-Jacob

2 Replies Last Post Dec 25, 2010, 9:46 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 5, 2010, 8:35 a.m. EST
I think I have a more fundamental question now.

If I am in say a 2-D In-Plane TE Mode. I am inputting a wave that will propagate left to right. What is the best way solve for the resulting field that is transmitted to the right boundary, regardless of what medium or pillars I put in its path. Seems like a simple to task to compute the transmission, but I am struggling.

I am assuming I will need to set up a time step to integrate over to make sense of it. Can this be done in the "Harmonic Propagation" mode or does it need to be in "Transient Propagation". Any input is welcome.

Thanks,
Jacob
I think I have a more fundamental question now. If I am in say a 2-D In-Plane TE Mode. I am inputting a wave that will propagate left to right. What is the best way solve for the resulting field that is transmitted to the right boundary, regardless of what medium or pillars I put in its path. Seems like a simple to task to compute the transmission, but I am struggling. I am assuming I will need to set up a time step to integrate over to make sense of it. Can this be done in the "Harmonic Propagation" mode or does it need to be in "Transient Propagation". Any input is welcome. Thanks, Jacob

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 25, 2010, 9:46 a.m. EST
Though it is too late for you, I want to share with you. Harmonic propagation is enough to solve the propagation of light. Just set the input port as scattering boundary condition and place the value of Ez. Other outer boundary should also be scattering but with a zero value.

I would be very happy if you inform me that whether have you already solved it or not?
Though it is too late for you, I want to share with you. Harmonic propagation is enough to solve the propagation of light. Just set the input port as scattering boundary condition and place the value of Ez. Other outer boundary should also be scattering but with a zero value. I would be very happy if you inform me that whether have you already solved it or not?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.