Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Residual stress

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am trying to simulate the behaviour of a structure that goes through thermal stress. The temperature is applied through a time dependent expression and the temperature goes from 293K to 1436K. The study done is time dependent.

My structure is a thin film with a gage section made of silicon nitride over a silicon substrate. From the measurements of my devices, I know there is a tensile residual stressof 390MPa on the thin film, however, whenever I use the "initial stress feature" and input a 390MPa as the value when I check the stress on my structures at time 0s I get values of about 2.7E9. There are no other loads applied to the device. The only added boundary condtion comes from constraining the 4 points at the corners of the device. I do notunderstand why my stress levels get bumped so high. I check the initial conditions of my model and it does show the whole film prestressed to 390MPa

I have read that the "initial stress" function is kind of confusing as well, so I tried to apply a statitc study that brought my temperature down from 950K to 293K, which generated a stress of 390MPa in my results and then use that result as my input for a second study where i try to do what i mentioned above. However, the same thing happens when I put my simulation at 0s my stress then becomes really low to about 2.7MPa. I have tried several approaches and combinations of options but none of them give me the result I believe I should be getting.

I am attaching my .mph file any help is appreciated

0 Replies Last Post Oct 15, 2019, 2:48 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alex Navarrete

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.