Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating the Hall Effect

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have done a search on this forum and all the threads I have found are from years ago.

Is there a simple way to simulate the Hall Effect? It really doesn't seem like it would be that complicated.

All of the AC/DC modules seem to partially have what I need. Magnetic Fields (the one with currents) lets me define a static, uniform magnetic field, but no real way to just apply a voltage between two ends of a conductor.

I've seen people suggest calculating my own conductivity matrix which takes into account the magnetic effects, but I also read that you can't get a charge pileup reading from it, so it's really pointless.

The module Magnetic and Electric fields doesn't have a way to define a static background magnetic field. You can't select between "full field" and "reduced field". I can make a 3D block, voltage across X axis, magnetic field along Z, trying to measure charge pileup in Y-axis. I can set the Y-axis walls to have a magnetic field pointing in Z. This magnetic field influences the current across X. This I have verified. So why can't I just put a static uniform field in the model?

Thank you.

2 Replies Last Post Apr 14, 2020, 10:24 a.m. EDT

Posted: 5 years ago Oct 16, 2019, 2:56 a.m. EDT

Try the attached, which I believe is from one of the Comsol tutorials, (this is a version 5.4 file).

Try the attached, which I believe is from one of the Comsol tutorials, (this is a version 5.4 file).

Posted: 4 years ago Apr 14, 2020, 10:24 a.m. EDT

Can u please send me the modelling details compatible with the older version (COMSOL 5.2 version file)

Can u please send me the modelling details compatible with the older version (COMSOL 5.2 version file)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.