Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Excluding geometry boundaries from meshing, but maintaining them as domains

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I am currently working on a 2D CFD-simulation, and I've come accross the following problem to which I cannot find a solution:

I want to define three additional domains in the geometry I've built, and calculate some additional results (values and plots) in post-processing.

However, when I build the mesh for the entire model, the mesher makes use of these boundaries as well, resulting in a much higher element count and sending computation times through the roof. This high element count is mostly due to the fact that the additional boundaries are adjacent to some circles, and the mesher fills up the narrow spikes on the intersentions with an unnecessarily fine mesh.

I'd like to tell the mesher to exclude these additional boundaries when meshing, but I want to keep these visible in plots and easily accessible for post processing. Ignore edges removes the possibility to do so, and the mesh control edges/domain virtual operations don't provide a solution either. Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Replies Last Post Jan 17, 2020, 6:21 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jan Name

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.