Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What does the solution in frequency domain analysis mean?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I understand that any BC or load set in frequency domain analysis would be an amplitude that is excited harmonically under the** frequency** set in the study node.

What I am concerning is the result. The result is always in complex value which is reasonable because of the phase lag compared to the input. But if the abs(result) is the amplitude of the output? For example, if my study constitutes 2 steps, the first one is a steady step which outputs a constant value, the second one is a frequency domain study. If the abs() gives the amplitude, in theory the model with step 1 will produce the same abs() result as the model without step1 because step 1 only adds an constant average to the whole solution. I just wonder if I am think rightly?

1 Reply Last Post Apr 11, 2020, 12:41 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Apr 11, 2020, 12:41 p.m. EDT

This depends on the physics and the question. To get a useful answer, you need to explain to the readers of this forum what kind of physics you are modeling, what kind of problem you are studying, and what you are trying to learn from it.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
This depends on the physics and the question. To get a useful answer, you need to explain to the readers of this forum what kind of physics you are modeling, what kind of problem you are studying, and what you are trying to learn from it.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.