Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Evaluate Impedance of a coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All, I am trying to include impedance calculations in my model.

To keep it simple, let's consider my model to be AC/DC analysis with a single conductor coil. To realize it I followed the example of ecore_transformer, so I did the coil geometry analysis and then I did the analysis in time-dependent (frequency is 50 Hz). I managed to trace arrows of the density of current and the induction magnetic.

Now I'd like to evaluate the impedance and inductance of the coil. I know that I should use a global evaluation under derived values, but there aren't these choices in default calculations for coil parameters. I can evaluate only other parameters like current, voltage, and resistance in DC.

Could you tell me why I can't find other default calculation? Thank you very much for your help.

1 Reply Last Post Apr 19, 2020, 2:38 p.m. EDT
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Apr 19, 2020, 2:38 p.m. EDT

I did the analysis in time-dependent (frequency is 50 Hz)

Impedance, admittance, etc. are only applicable to sinusoidal steady state. Do a frequency-dependent simulation, then these choices will appear.

> I did the analysis in time-dependent (frequency is 50 Hz) Impedance, admittance, etc. are only applicable to sinusoidal steady state. Do a frequency-dependent simulation, then these choices will appear.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.