Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

1D and 2D phononic crystals

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Note: I am doing this project as my "learn-something-new-during-lockdown" affort. So, you are free to suggest me whatever could be interesting. However, I am planning to get a good publication in this field after learning COMSOL, sooner or later.

I want to study 1D and 2D phononic crystals (acoustic wave interaction), and simulate two things:

Study: 1) calculate band structure diagram

Study: 2) make real-space wave propogation animations (for examples, animations given here: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-phononic-band-gap-materials-and-structures/)

Both 1D and 2D cases have further 3 type of crystals:

a) both periodic materials are solids

b) both periodic materials are fluids

c) one material is fluid and other is a solid

My first question is that what kind of models should I use for solid-solid, fluid-fluid, and fluid-solid interaction? I understand that for solid-solid Solid Mechanics is an option. What about other two types? Also, please suggest what kind of solids and fluids could be interesting to study in these crystals?

My second question is about making real-space animations. What kind of study/model can I use to make animations which shows that how a wave comes and interact with a periodic structure and then either reflects back (if in stop-band) or transmits (if in allow-band). This kind of animations are given on the webpage that I have mentioned above.

Thank you very much for your time.

0 Replies Last Post Apr 29, 2020, 12:07 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Luqman Saleem

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.