Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Measuring volume of matrix material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have programmed a unit area of matrix containing a random distribution of fibres (see attached image). I would now like to effectively measure the volume fraction of fibres within the cube, disregarding the fibre ends that exit the cube faces; this would be so that I could at some point input a dersired volume fraction into my code and generate a resulting model. Is there a way to measure the volume of the cube, for example if i were to use the geometry of the fibres to create voids in the matrix?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

-alex

6 Replies Last Post May 19, 2020, 6:28 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago May 18, 2020, 6:10 a.m. EDT

Alex,

to measue a domain volume you can set up a domain integration coupling operator, typically it is intop1(). Then you can define a variable, e.g. volume = intop1(1).

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Alex, to measue a domain volume you can set up a domain integration coupling operator, typically it is intop1(). Then you can define a variable, e.g. volume = intop1(1). Cheers Edgar

Posted: 4 years ago May 18, 2020, 8:57 a.m. EDT

Thanks Edgar,

I couldn't find intop1() or anything about a 'domain integration coupling operator' in the COMSOL programming reference manual. Is there somewhere i can read more about this?

Thanks, -alex

Thanks Edgar, I couldn't find intop1() or anything about a 'domain integration coupling operator' in the COMSOL programming reference manual. Is there somewhere i can read more about this? Thanks, -alex

Posted: 4 years ago May 18, 2020, 9:20 a.m. EDT

This is not about programming. Check in the model builder under Component1 > Definitions > Nonlocal Couplings > Integration

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
This is not about programming. Check in the model builder under Component1 > Definitions > Nonlocal Couplings > Integration

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago May 18, 2020, 11:20 a.m. EDT

Even easier than that is Volume Integration (of 1) under Derived Values.

By the way- the various uses of the intop operator could be better explained than in the documentation I have been able to find. In particular the significance of the intop operator on a point is...obscure.

Even easier than that is Volume Integration (of 1) under Derived Values. By the way- the various uses of the intop operator could be better explained than in the documentation I have been able to find. In particular the significance of the intop operator on a point is...obscure.

Posted: 4 years ago May 19, 2020, 4:42 a.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago May 19, 2020, 4:55 a.m. EDT

Thanks

I want to add fibres in a programming loop until a defined volume fraction is reached. Therefore, i dont think intop1() is what i need

Thanks I want to add fibres in a programming loop until a defined volume fraction is reached. Therefore, i dont think intop1() is what i need

Posted: 4 years ago May 19, 2020, 6:28 a.m. EDT

You can of course use the coupling operations, as well as the post processing integration, as suggested by Dave Greve in application methods.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
You can of course use the coupling operations, as well as the post processing integration, as suggested by Dave Greve in application methods.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.