Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Domain size for RF module problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to get the scattering cross section and E field for a nanoparticle suspended in a water domain. The water domain is spherical in shape. The largest wavelength I will be using is 940nm. Should the radius of the water domain be set to something larger than that like 1000nm?

1 Reply Last Post May 23, 2020, 11:41 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago May 23, 2020, 11:41 p.m. EDT

That seems reasonable to me, although I don't do problems like that very often, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Anyway, if you want to be sure, simply do several runs with different size domains and compare! Mesh (how fine or coarse) and choice of element order (linear, quadratic, etc.) may make a difference too. In part, your choices will come down to how much inaccuracy you are willing to tolerate, how fast your computer is, how much memory you have, etc. (By the way, I presume the wavelength you are referring to is in the water, not the wavelength in free space.) Finally, if everything is nicely spherical, isn't it possible that this might be an already analytically-solved problem, and so you can (more or less) look up the answer in the literature? Or are you, perhaps, trying to validate the code? :)

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
That seems reasonable to me, although I don't do problems like that very often, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Anyway, if you want to be sure, simply do several runs with different size domains and compare! Mesh (how fine or coarse) and choice of element order (linear, quadratic, etc.) may make a difference too. In part, your choices will come down to how much inaccuracy you are willing to tolerate, how fast your computer is, how much memory you have, etc. (By the way, I presume the wavelength you are referring to is *in the water*, not the wavelength in free space.) Finally, if everything is nicely spherical, isn't it possible that this might be an already analytically-solved problem, and so you can (more or less) look up the answer in the literature? Or are you, perhaps, trying to validate the code? :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.