Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling steady-state fluid flow inside a horizontal rock fracture

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am modelling steady-state fluid flow inside a horizontal rock fracture which is inside a cubical rock block. The fluid will flow inside the fracture from one side and outside from the three remaining sides.

I created two 3D meshes representig the fracture walls with CloudCompare from the 3D image of the rock block. The problem is how to create solid between the two surfaces in which the fluid flow occurs? The aim is to calculate the amount of fluid flow.

I attached an image to illustrate the fracture and the fracture walls. There are different amount of faces and points in the two meshes representig the fracture walls.

Thanks for answers, Ville

1 Reply Last Post Jun 8, 2020, 10:29 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Jun 8, 2020, 10:29 a.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago Jun 8, 2020, 1:38 p.m. EDT

Hello Ville,

I am not sure I understand the details of your work, but I suspect that there is a fair chance that you can either

1/ simply draw a cube that overlaps the two surfaces of the fracture to trim them as you need. This will create a domain between the two surfaces.

or

2/ use the Cap Faces operation, if you have the needed products on your license, see this thread for instance, or others like it in the Forum where Cap Faces has been discussed.

I hope this helps, or at least that I am not misunderstanding you so badly as to point you in the wrong direction. Please feel free to add more information to this thread.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Ville, I am not sure I understand the details of your work, but I suspect that there is a fair chance that you can either 1/ simply draw a cube that overlaps the two surfaces of the fracture to trim them as you need. This will create a domain between the two surfaces. or 2/ use the Cap Faces operation, if you have the needed products on your license, see [this thread](https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/134711/filling-an-empty-space-with-fluid-heat-transfer-in-solids?last=2017-01-27T12:17:21Z) for instance, or others like it in the Forum where Cap Faces has been discussed. I hope this helps, or at least that I am not misunderstanding you so badly as to point you in the wrong direction. Please feel free to add more information to this thread. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.