Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Need help understanding the correlation for heat generation between the 1D and 3D models in batteries

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am new to COMSOL and have been going through some of the tutorials for batteries. I completed the tutorial 'Thermal Modeling of a Cylindrical Lithium-ion Battery in 3D' and have a question about one of the steps.

At one point in the tutorial it has you put in a variable for heat generation (Qh). The expression for Qh is :

nojac(comp1.aveop2(comp1.liion.Qh))(L_neg+L_sep+L_pos)/L_batt((r_batt-d_can)^2-r_mandrel^2)(h_battd_can2)/((r_batt^2-r_mandrel^2)*h_batt)

Looking at this expression it looks like it is using Qh from the 1D model for the 3D model. I've looked through the 1D model and can't find a value for Qh anywhere. Can someone explain the correlation or how COMSOL is using the 1D model to get the heat generation in the 3D model?

Thank you for your help,

-Nate

0 Replies Last Post Jul 9, 2020, 6:27 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nate

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.