Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Export simulated data for the field in a waveguide.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey, can anyone tell me, how I can extract data from my Comsol simulation? I simulate the mode distribution in a waveguide. On the right side I will see a picture of it. I can click into the picture and it will tell me the values of the field and the coordinates. I can simply click around and write down the points or even let the programm put them in a txt file. but only the ones that I clicked. I really do only need them for the y coordinate zero. So I could click along that axis and get the corresponding z-coordinates and field values (in the transverse x direction). However, this is quite inaccurate and cumbersome. Doing it once or twice would be fine, but I need do it for several different waveguides. So it would really be very nice just to tell the programm please give me the whole array or at least just in one dimension for y=0. Does anyone know a simple solution? I already tried exporting the data, but something completely different came out. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! :)

ps: some information: 2D, freq. domain, waveguide ,from geometrical obejcts with material properties, Mesh: free triangle, extremely fine, study: effective mode index, one desired number of modes, simulate electrical field component x

1 Reply Last Post May 15, 2021, 11:44 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago May 15, 2021, 11:44 a.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago May 15, 2021, 11:49 a.m. EDT

Sounds like you just need to get some more practice with post-processing and exporting of plots and data. You can make surface plots, line plots, point plots, etc. And you can export them in various ways. Since you are working in 2D, it sounds like you want the values along a line. So create a line plot, set it up so that the plot shows the data in terms of the quantities of interest to you (e.g., Ez vs. x, or something like that), and then export that data as a plot or data. With a little practice and a willingness to experiment with the various choices available to you, you will be very likely to succeed.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Sounds like you just need to get some more practice with post-processing and *exporting* of plots and data. You can make surface plots, line plots, point plots, etc. And you can *export* them in various ways. Since you are working in 2D, it sounds like you want the values along a line. So create a line plot, set it up so that the plot shows the data in terms of the quantities of interest to you (e.g., Ez vs. x, or something like that), and then *export* that data as a plot or data. With a little practice and a willingness to experiment with the various choices available to you, you will be very likely to succeed.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.