Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Optical Waveguide Numeric Port Selection

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Comsol Community,

I would like raise a question regarding the use of numeric Ports to solve for a core/cladding waveguide. A good example would be: https://www.comsol.com/video/simulating-wave-optics-comsol-multiphysics Here, Magnus Olsson selects all boundaries of the cross-sectional surfaces as port (1/2).

The question that I have here is: If I already know, that the core is going to "carry" the main parts of the mode, why do I select the claddings as well? The results for all boundaries of the cross-section compared to just the core differ drastically (see attached files) but I am having trouble understanding why.

I would greatly appreciate comments that could help understand this issue. Thank you in advance, Nico

0 Replies Last Post Jun 14, 2021, 3:45 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jian Cui

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.