Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem to understand Frame setting in Average Function

Sören Mechanical Simulations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good Morning,

I have a mechanical simulation and I need some help to understand the average frame setting.

I have Average1 (aveop1) with a Spatial Frame and Average2 (aveop2) with a Material Frame. Both Averages have the same point selected.

My results show me the following behaviour...

aveop1(z) = aveop2(z)

aveop1(Z) = aveop2(Z)

My conclusion is, that both frame settings are leading to the same end result. (at least in my simulation)

My question is: If there is no difference, why can I choose between this frames? Are they usecases in the average function in which they matter?

Thanks a lot.

Sören

1 Reply Last Post Aug 25, 2021, 4:46 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago Aug 25, 2021, 4:46 a.m. EDT

The frame is irrelevant for point selections. The average of the value in a point is simply the value in the point. When you start computing averages over objects of higher dimensionality, it matters, since there is an integration being done.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
The frame is irrelevant for point selections. The average of the value in a point is simply the value in the point. When you start computing averages over objects of higher dimensionality, it matters, since there is an integration being done.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.