Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to fix rotating hollow cylinder

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to simulate a rotating hollow cylinder that is elasticly deforming. The hollow cylinder lets call it a mold is used for centrifugal casting of steel where the liquid steel is pured on the inner side of the mould and solidifies, the solidification is not uniform and the density distribution is not uniform thus the vibration arises. The mold is driven by four supporting driving rollers in a 20 deg angle from the centre of the mold at the bottom.

At first I started to simulated only just the mold without any heat transfers and used the rotating frame physics in the solid mechanics module, but it seems it is not correct when I run the simulation I can see the centrifugal forces in the results but while I want to plot the velocity field it seems it is not moving. I also tried to simulate 2D and 3D simulation with driving rollers but is does not work as well. While using the 2D simulation and simulate just the mold with rigid connector to presribe the applied moment the model just fly away with enormous displacement x10^20..

Can anyone please help me with this kind of problem? How should I proceed, should I somehome prescribe the fix point over which the mold can rotate and thus not travel through out the space? Or use another module such as MultiBody Dynamics module? I also tried this one but still I am dealing with the problem that the model is ill conditioned and linear error is high as well the residual estimation.

I would appriciate any kind of advice while I am totally flustrated with this problem. Thank you and I am looking forward to a discussion over this topic.

1 Reply Last Post Nov 19, 2021, 2:38 a.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago Nov 19, 2021, 2:38 a.m. EST

If you include a sketch or a model I think you are more likely to get an answer.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
If you include a sketch or a model I think you are more likely to get an answer.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.