Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

RFmodule: Exploiting Symmetries AND use of Periodic B.Conditions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Community,

In RFmodule, 3D harmonic propagation analysis:

Let's say I have a 2D periodic strucure, e.g. a 2D-grating (in the xy-plane) .
Incoming light is a plane wave, polarisation: x-direction , travelling along z-direction, i.e. normal incidence onto the structure (no in-plane k-vektor component).

As boundary condition I'd set periodic conditions in x-, and in y-direction.

Now, in case my elementary cell exhibits symmetries, e.g. elementary cell just consists of a centered cube, I'd like to introduce a perfect-magnetic conductor (xz)plane and a perfect-electric conductor (yz)plane mirroring those symmetries.

To take advantage of those symmetries I have to deactivate the corresponding subdomains.

But then I experience, that I cannot use the periodic conditions anymore, since parts of the periodic-condition boundary-pairs now lie on deactivated subdomains!

Anyone knows how to implement that kind of problem? Or is it just, one cannot exploit symmetries when using periodic boundary conditions?

Regards & thanks in advance

Alex

1 Reply Last Post Aug 2, 2010, 2:26 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello alex

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 2, 2010, 2:26 p.m. EDT
Hi Alex,

I am having exactly the same problem as you. I was wondering if you were able find a solution meanwhile. Thanks!

-Filiz
Hi Alex, I am having exactly the same problem as you. I was wondering if you were able find a solution meanwhile. Thanks! -Filiz

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.