Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Domain Overlapping after simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Please refer to the attached figure, where I have a part of the object I am simulating shown. After simulation the two legs overlaps each other. how does it affect the results? How to remove this overlapping? This is a 2D plane stress model with eigenfrequency analysis.

3 Replies Last Post Oct 15, 2013, 2:18 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 14, 2013, 2:14 a.m. EDT
Dear Ruzbeh,

Since it is an eigenfrequency analysis, the size of the deformations is arbitrary. So without running a forced response analysis with actual loads in for example frequency domain, there is no way to know whether these parts would actually get in to contact or not. But if they do, there is nothing such as an eigenfrequency of the structure.

Regards,
Henrik
Dear Ruzbeh, Since it is an eigenfrequency analysis, the size of the deformations is arbitrary. So without running a forced response analysis with actual loads in for example frequency domain, there is no way to know whether these parts would actually get in to contact or not. But if they do, there is nothing such as an eigenfrequency of the structure. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 14, 2013, 7:06 a.m. EDT
Dear Henrik

Thank you for the reply. Basically this is a resonator. The frequency I got from my simulation has good agreement with experimental result. Since the deformations are arbitrary, I hope the contact between parts does not matter really. Does the problem become Non-linear when considering contact between parts?

I know the driving frequency of the resonator, is it possible to have a freqeuncy response analysis using this?

Thanks.
Dear Henrik Thank you for the reply. Basically this is a resonator. The frequency I got from my simulation has good agreement with experimental result. Since the deformations are arbitrary, I hope the contact between parts does not matter really. Does the problem become Non-linear when considering contact between parts? I know the driving frequency of the resonator, is it possible to have a freqeuncy response analysis using this? Thanks.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 15, 2013, 2:18 a.m. EDT
Hi Ruzbeh,

If the parts would actually come in contact at resonance, the problem becomes severely nonlinear and can only be simulated in time domain, and to a great effort. The solutions are no longer harmonic, and a lot of high frequencies will be generated by the impact.

If you know the driving frequency and load amplitude, then you should do a frequency response simulation to check that there is no contact. Note however that if you are close to resonance, the computed amplitudes will be strongly dependent on the damping values that you select.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi Ruzbeh, If the parts would actually come in contact at resonance, the problem becomes severely nonlinear and can only be simulated in time domain, and to a great effort. The solutions are no longer harmonic, and a lot of high frequencies will be generated by the impact. If you know the driving frequency and load amplitude, then you should do a frequency response simulation to check that there is no contact. Note however that if you are close to resonance, the computed amplitudes will be strongly dependent on the damping values that you select. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.