Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Gas mixing - newbie question

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm pretty new to Comsol and have a pretty newbie question. I want to simulate the following (which should be pretty trivial, I guess..)

I have a vessel with 2 Inlets, on both Inlets a different gas enters at a specific flow rate

The two gases mix in the vessel

Required results:

Flow field
Concentration of the gases within the vessel ("mixing")

Now, I'm pretty lost about what app-mode to select. Navier Stokes calculates the flow field. But it requires one gas - but density, viscosity etc. of the gas is not constant in the vessel (well, i mix two gases after all) So what's the approach?

The mixing should be approachable by convection and diffusion. But Maxwell-Stefan-App-Mode again requires ONE Density - but that can not be specified, can it? It's basically the result of the simulation.

Anybody got a tip on how to approach that easy problem and help a Newbie?

Thanks, Mike

0 Replies Last Post Mar 23, 2010, 6:58 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Michael Bielmann

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.