Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Floquet periodic BC in Acoustic module

Maxim Electromobility

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I have a problem to calculate a plane wave at oblique incidence in Acoustic module. In RF module to successfully simulate this wave I use Floquet periodic BC, this BC are available there. In Acoustic module periodic BC have to be specified in menu Physics->Periodic conditions->Periodic boundary conditions, and, at the same time, in menu Physics->Boundary Setting the Sound hard boundary (wall) BC for the same boundary have to be set. By doing this, it is easy to calculate the normal incidence, setting continuity periodic BC. But I did not find the way to specify Floquet periodic BC in Acoustic module. Please take a look at the figure.

So, does anyone know is it possible at all to specify Floquet periodic BC in Acoustic module, and how?

Thank you!

2 Replies Last Post Jun 1, 2010, 6:34 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 1, 2010, 6:11 p.m. EDT
Hi Maxim,
I used floquet periodic BC in RF module to study the tilted incident planar light to the infinite long dielectric layer, can you let me know how can set the boundary condictions to get the the pattern you showed in the attached. Thanks.
Hi Maxim, I used floquet periodic BC in RF module to study the tilted incident planar light to the infinite long dielectric layer, can you let me know how can set the boundary condictions to get the the pattern you showed in the attached. Thanks.

Maxim Electromobility

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 1, 2010, 6:34 p.m. EDT
Hi Weibin,

Take a look at the tutorial model called "Periodic Boundary Condition", it has a detailed description in the help system. I used Comsol 3.5. The pictures are from there.

Moreover, I have figured out what was a problem I faced while running acoustic simulation. I forgot to select the "Use Hermitian transpose of constraint matrix and in symmetry detection" check box on the Advanced page in the Solver Parameters dialog box. Do not forget to check it. So, the same technique works perfectly in acoustic.

Good luck!
Maxim
Hi Weibin, Take a look at the tutorial model called "Periodic Boundary Condition", it has a detailed description in the help system. I used Comsol 3.5. The pictures are from there. Moreover, I have figured out what was a problem I faced while running acoustic simulation. I forgot to select the "Use Hermitian transpose of constraint matrix and in symmetry detection" check box on the Advanced page in the Solver Parameters dialog box. Do not forget to check it. So, the same technique works perfectly in acoustic. Good luck! Maxim

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.