Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

About graphics.rendering.3drend setting

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have comsol installed on a x86_64 linux cluster. I need to run it remotely from a linux workstation. After login with "ssh -X clustername" and type "comsol", I got the following error:

An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime environment:
SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0000003fb3420345, pid=3095, tid=xxxxxxxxxxxx
Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (11.3-b02 mixed mode linux-amd64)
Problematic frame:
C [libGL.so.1+0x20346] glXGetConfig+0x16

I then tried launching comsol remotely through putty and xming from a windows machine. The first time I got some error related to OpenGL. Without doing anything, I lauched comsol for the second time and it worked.

I checked comsol.prefs and found
graphics.rendering.3drend=ogl
was automatically changed by the windows client to
graphics.rendering.3drend=sw

The good thing is that after the change, I was able to run cosmol logging into the linux cluster through my linux workstation and no more java runtime error !!!!

So, my question is, while ogl must stand for opengl, what does sw mean? Why sw works for our cluster, but not ogl?

Thanks,

1 Reply Last Post May 24, 2010, 5:21 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago May 24, 2010, 5:21 p.m. EDT
I just found that "sw" mean software rendering. Would this is slower than OpenGL rendering? How can I make the OpenGL rendering working?
I just found that "sw" mean software rendering. Would this is slower than OpenGL rendering? How can I make the OpenGL rendering working?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.