Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

warning: Inconsistent pointwise non-ideal constraints found.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Do you know what this means? I get it when trying FSI in Comsol 4. It is non-destructive warning error, yet, it fills all the log file.

Inconsistent pointwise non-ideal constraints found.
4 constraints are merged/removed.

Many thanks

13 Replies Last Post Nov 4, 2011, 4:13 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Danial Tz

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 20, 2010, 2:31 p.m. EDT
It seems repeating in the Comsol 4.0a too. Anyone?

It gets annoying as all the log file is filled with these messages. The simulation runs normal though.
It seems repeating in the Comsol 4.0a too. Anyone? It gets annoying as all the log file is filled with these messages. The simulation runs normal though.

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 10, 2010, 11:43 a.m. EDT
and this one:

Warning: New constraint force nodes detected: these are not stored !

Anyone?
and this one: Warning: New constraint force nodes detected: these are not stored ! Anyone?

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 10, 2010, 12:19 p.m. EDT
Hi,
I have been off comsol for a while now [ still have to move to 4.0] but I remember having these kind of warning when my constraint were not properly defined [ weak ideal non ideal.. ] with 3.5
So it is most probably the same things.. you need to clearly understand which type of constraint to use for a given problem .. and it is not easy .. [ to be honnest at the beginning I tried all possible combinations untile these warning messages disappeared.. again this come from my experience with 3.5...
hope this will help anyway

jf
Hi, I have been off comsol for a while now [ still have to move to 4.0] but I remember having these kind of warning when my constraint were not properly defined [ weak ideal non ideal.. ] with 3.5 So it is most probably the same things.. you need to clearly understand which type of constraint to use for a given problem .. and it is not easy .. [ to be honnest at the beginning I tried all possible combinations untile these warning messages disappeared.. again this come from my experience with 3.5... hope this will help anyway jf

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 11, 2010, 6:25 a.m. EDT

Hi,
I have been off comsol for a while now [ still have to move to 4.0] but I remember having these kind of warning when my constraint were not properly defined [ weak ideal non ideal.. ] with 3.5
So it is most probably the same things.. you need to clearly understand which type of constraint to use for a given problem .. and it is not easy .. [ to be honnest at the beginning I tried all possible combinations untile these warning messages disappeared.. again this come from my experience with 3.5...
hope this will help anyway

jf

Hi Jean Francois,

Yes, you are correct for Comsol 3.5. The problem is that in Comsol 4 this is the error you get when using FSI module, and nothing else. It gives the error on the FSI boundaries.
[QUOTE] Hi, I have been off comsol for a while now [ still have to move to 4.0] but I remember having these kind of warning when my constraint were not properly defined [ weak ideal non ideal.. ] with 3.5 So it is most probably the same things.. you need to clearly understand which type of constraint to use for a given problem .. and it is not easy .. [ to be honnest at the beginning I tried all possible combinations untile these warning messages disappeared.. again this come from my experience with 3.5... hope this will help anyway jf [/QUOTE] Hi Jean Francois, Yes, you are correct for Comsol 3.5. The problem is that in Comsol 4 this is the error you get when using FSI module, and nothing else. It gives the error on the FSI boundaries.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 5, 2010, 9:40 a.m. EDT
It is also in Comsol 4.1. I cannot get rid of it. Anyone?

--
Comsol 4.0a, 4.1
Ubuntu 10.04.1
It is also in Comsol 4.1. I cannot get rid of it. Anyone? -- Comsol 4.0a, 4.1 Ubuntu 10.04.1

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 5, 2010, 10:28 a.m. EDT
Do you combine pointwise and weak constraints?
Do you combine pointwise and weak constraints?

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 5, 2010, 10:53 a.m. EDT
4 constraints are merged/removed.
Inconsistent pointwise unidirectional constraints found.

This is what it's saying in Comsol 4.1. I am just using a simple fsi boundary condition. Doing nothing special.

--
Comsol 4.0a
Ubuntu 10.04.14
4 constraints are merged/removed. Inconsistent pointwise unidirectional constraints found. This is what it's saying in Comsol 4.1. I am just using a simple fsi boundary condition. Doing nothing special. -- Comsol 4.0a Ubuntu 10.04.14

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 6, 2010, 10:04 a.m. EDT
Well, it was just a try, because using weak constraints + pointwise constraints on the same variable and (adjacent) domain will result in problems during the discretisation. So COMSOL maybe removes these additional pointwise constraints, which produces your warning message.
Well, it was just a try, because using weak constraints + pointwise constraints on the same variable and (adjacent) domain will result in problems during the discretisation. So COMSOL maybe removes these additional pointwise constraints, which produces your warning message.

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 9, 2010, 5:51 a.m. EST
I have the same one. It could be great to know where these duplicate constraint come from.
I personally got this message when using symmetries.
I have the same one. It could be great to know where these duplicate constraint come from. I personally got this message when using symmetries.

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 10, 2011, 9:42 p.m. EDT
Did anybody find a solution to this thread? Even I get the warnings "inconsistent unidirectional constraints found". I can't get rid of them.

sirisha
Did anybody find a solution to this thread? Even I get the warnings "inconsistent unidirectional constraints found". I can't get rid of them. sirisha

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 10, 2011, 11:57 p.m. EDT

and this one:

Warning: New constraint force nodes detected: these are not stored !

Anyone?

If this is still an issue, then Please see www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1056/

I am still searching for an answer for the pointwise constraints.

sirisha

[QUOTE] and this one: Warning: New constraint force nodes detected: these are not stored ! Anyone? [/QUOTE] If this is still an issue, then Please see http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1056/ I am still searching for an answer for the pointwise constraints. sirisha

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 4, 2011, 4:01 p.m. EDT
I'm getting these warnings (FSI problem). Ultimately, my model fails.

Naturally, I suspect that the failure is related to this issue...

I'm getting these warnings (FSI problem). Ultimately, my model fails. Naturally, I suspect that the failure is related to this issue...

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 4, 2011, 4:13 p.m. EDT
Hi

It could be but the chances are higher that its related to a too large mesh deformation issue, which often participate to trigger these warnings. Have you set the model to plot while solving so you see what is happening, often you need to track the mesh quality, as well as a few probe values in FSI issues

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi It could be but the chances are higher that its related to a too large mesh deformation issue, which often participate to trigger these warnings. Have you set the model to plot while solving so you see what is happening, often you need to track the mesh quality, as well as a few probe values in FSI issues -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.