Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how can I set some incoherent point sources in 3D in RF modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

it seems all the point source array I set using conventional methods is coherent, does that have any way to figure out this problem?

1 Reply Last Post Jan 6, 2010, 2:07 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Xiaowei Li

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 6, 2010, 2:07 p.m. EST
I'm surprised no one responded to this question earlier. RF problems are normally solved as either frequency-domain or time-domain wave-type solutions to Maxwell's equations. All frequency-domain problems are "coherent" at any given frequency, essentially by definition. However, multiple incoherent sources could in principle be modeled in time domain using source driving functions that are nearly random (but kept within some finite frequency bandwidth). However, a better solution to your class of problem would likely be to apply a different method entirely. For example, incoherent optical behavior is for many purposes nicely described by ray-tracing/geometric optics. Finite elements (on which Comsol Multiphysics is based) is apparently not the best way to implement that. Fortunately, there exist many low-cost, and some free, ray-tracing codes available for downloading on the internet. Just do a search for ray-tracing codes. Good luck.
I'm surprised no one responded to this question earlier. RF problems are normally solved as either frequency-domain or time-domain wave-type solutions to Maxwell's equations. All frequency-domain problems are "coherent" at any given frequency, essentially by definition. However, multiple incoherent sources could in principle be modeled in time domain using source driving functions that are nearly random (but kept within some finite frequency bandwidth). However, a better solution to your class of problem would likely be to apply a different method entirely. For example, incoherent optical behavior is for many purposes nicely described by ray-tracing/geometric optics. Finite elements (on which Comsol Multiphysics is based) is apparently not the best way to implement that. Fortunately, there exist many low-cost, and some free, ray-tracing codes available for downloading on the internet. Just do a search for ray-tracing codes. Good luck.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.