Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3 D anxial symmetry in comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I would like to know how can I model heat and mass transfer in Comsol using 3D axial symmetry? I only see that if I would like to use axial symmetry in comsol I only can use 2D or 1D but for my problem I would like to have a 3D model.

Is there anyone know this? Thanks.

Xin

1 Reply Last Post Sep 4, 2009, 10:30 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 4, 2009, 10:30 a.m. EDT
If you only want to do is visualize the results in 3D (for a presentation or something) or use the solution as a base for further analysis, what you can do is map 2D results into a 3D figure.

Basically, what you have to do is solve the problem in 2D axisymmetric, and then do an extrusion coupling with a 3D model, messing around with the extrusion parameters so that you'll actually revolve the results.

Erm, sounds a lot more convoluted than it actually is. If you have the chemical engineering module, you can use the file I'm uploading so you can get an idea of the process.

If not, these are the steps to do it:

1.- Solve your problem in 2D Axisymmetric.

2.- Add a 3D geometry, and revolve your 2D drawing into it.

3.- Define which variables you wish to map (for example, speeds in the radial and axial direction, or what have you)

4.-Go to your 2D solution, and then go to options>extrusion coupling variables>subdomain variables

5.- Select the subdomain whose solution you wish to revolve, and create a variable there for every variable you wish to map. Let's assume you wish to map velocity "v". You'd then create a variable called v_rev (or whatever) and in the expression field write v.

6.- This is the important part, since here is where you define the mapping. Don't hit apply until you've finished:
a.- Select "General Transformation" below the list, and under x and y, you do your vector transformations. In this case it would be very simple, since x would be r and y would be z.
b.- Go to the "Destination" tab, and select your 3D geometry under "Geometry" and the level to subdomain.
c.- Under Destination transformation, set x to "sqrt(x^2+z^2)", and then y to "y".

7.- Make sure your solver settings for the 3D model are in stationary (you're only mapping the current result in the 2D model), then hit "update model".

8.- In plot parameters, go to whatever visualization method you prefer, and type the name of the variable you wish to see (for this example, v_rev would be it). The result should display in 3D.

Hope this helps.
If you only want to do is visualize the results in 3D (for a presentation or something) or use the solution as a base for further analysis, what you can do is map 2D results into a 3D figure. Basically, what you have to do is solve the problem in 2D axisymmetric, and then do an extrusion coupling with a 3D model, messing around with the extrusion parameters so that you'll actually revolve the results. Erm, sounds a lot more convoluted than it actually is. If you have the chemical engineering module, you can use the file I'm uploading so you can get an idea of the process. If not, these are the steps to do it: 1.- Solve your problem in 2D Axisymmetric. 2.- Add a 3D geometry, and revolve your 2D drawing into it. 3.- Define which variables you wish to map (for example, speeds in the radial and axial direction, or what have you) 4.-Go to your 2D solution, and then go to options>extrusion coupling variables>subdomain variables 5.- Select the subdomain whose solution you wish to revolve, and create a variable there for every variable you wish to map. Let's assume you wish to map velocity "v". You'd then create a variable called v_rev (or whatever) and in the expression field write v. 6.- This is the important part, since here is where you define the mapping. Don't hit apply until you've finished: a.- Select "General Transformation" below the list, and under x and y, you do your vector transformations. In this case it would be very simple, since x would be r and y would be z. b.- Go to the "Destination" tab, and select your 3D geometry under "Geometry" and the level to subdomain. c.- Under Destination transformation, set x to "sqrt(x^2+z^2)", and then y to "y". 7.- Make sure your solver settings for the 3D model are in stationary (you're only mapping the current result in the 2D model), then hit "update model". 8.- In plot parameters, go to whatever visualization method you prefer, and type the name of the variable you wish to see (for this example, v_rev would be it). The result should display in 3D. Hope this helps.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.