Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Running License Server without Logging in, Windows XP 64 bit

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm running the license server on a separate computer from my COMSOL machine. Everything is working okay, except that I have to log on to the license server machine and start the license manager before logging on to the COMSOL machine to run COMSOL. Also, I have to stay logged on to the license server machine to keep the license server running. If I log off, the license server stops.

Is there a way to set up the license server machine so it starts up the license server on boot and runs the license server independent of users logging on and off?

Thanks,
John

2 Replies Last Post Aug 30, 2010, 4:28 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 28, 2010, 5:03 a.m. EDT
Hi

normally a licence server should be set up as a service running in "automatic" mode so no login (apart from an admin account the first time to install) should be required

check the way you have installed the licence server, perhaps you need to do it again, or you have missed a check bos (start on boo) or sometings similar, but all this is very OS dependent

There are also a few knowledge base pages about licence server set-up to help, browse the comsol website

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally a licence server should be set up as a service running in "automatic" mode so no login (apart from an admin account the first time to install) should be required . check the way you have installed the licence server, perhaps you need to do it again, or you have missed a check bos (start on boo) or sometings similar, but all this is very OS dependent There are also a few knowledge base pages about licence server set-up to help, browse the comsol website -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 30, 2010, 4:28 p.m. EDT
Thanks, clicking the check boxes to run as a service and start on boot took care of the issue. I had looked through the website and the installation documentation but didn't locate instructions for what I needed to do.

A previous graduate student had originally set the system up, so I wasn't aware of all of the options. Running lmtools to start the license server before running COMSOL was fine until we added a second computer.

Thanks,
John
Thanks, clicking the check boxes to run as a service and start on boot took care of the issue. I had looked through the website and the installation documentation but didn't locate instructions for what I needed to do. A previous graduate student had originally set the system up, so I wasn't aware of all of the options. Running lmtools to start the license server before running COMSOL was fine until we added a second computer. Thanks, John

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.