Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Paramagnet / Diamagnet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Community,

i am a student and i want to study the behavior of a paramagnetic solid in a magnetic field induced by a single coil with a current passing through which i modeled.

Is there a possibility to calculate the force acting on the solid by the magnetic field?

Thanks for the help.

1 Reply Last Post Sep 14, 2010, 3:14 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 14, 2010, 3:14 p.m. EDT
Hi

check the doc, I do not see why you should not be able apply either the Maxwell stress tensor approach (note its rather sensitive to mesh density and field gradients) or better the virtual work approach, somewhat more cumbersome to set up. There are several exaples in 3.5a, not sure all are already translated to V4.0a yet

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the doc, I do not see why you should not be able apply either the Maxwell stress tensor approach (note its rather sensitive to mesh density and field gradients) or better the virtual work approach, somewhat more cumbersome to set up. There are several exaples in 3.5a, not sure all are already translated to V4.0a yet -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.