Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

when do I use axisymmetry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,
I need to solve a problem of heat transfer in a cylinder and calculate the temperature profile from the centre of the cylinder to its end.
after reducing the problem to a 1D problem I created a 1D axisymmetric model.
the results I got were incorrect, and only after I created a 1D non axisymmetric model, I got the correct results.
so my question is when do I use an axisymmetric model?

thanks,
Zvika

2 Replies Last Post Oct 7, 2010, 5:57 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 6, 2010, 7:50 a.m. EDT
Zvika,

it appears that you are interested in the axial temperature profile of the cylinder. The 1D reduction you must choose has thus no radial features. The assumption behind this is that you just consider a very thin cylinder inside a very thick cylinder with a constant radial profile.

If you were interested in a radial profile, you would choose axial symmetry, and this will give no information about axial profiles. Now you look at a very thin slice (disc) inside a very long cylinder with a constant axial temperatur distribution.

If you want to examine a real cylinder with axial and radial profile, you should choose 2D axisymmetric.

Best regards
Edgar

Zvika, it appears that you are interested in the axial temperature profile of the cylinder. The 1D reduction you must choose has thus no radial features. The assumption behind this is that you just consider a very thin cylinder inside a very thick cylinder with a constant radial profile. If you were interested in a radial profile, you would choose axial symmetry, and this will give no information about axial profiles. Now you look at a very thin slice (disc) inside a very long cylinder with a constant axial temperatur distribution. If you want to examine a real cylinder with axial and radial profile, you should choose 2D axisymmetric. Best regards Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 7, 2010, 5:57 a.m. EDT
Thank you very much Edgar.
you're answer helped me a lot.

Thank you very much Edgar. you're answer helped me a lot.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.