COMSOL Desktop® Updates
For all COMSOL Multiphysics® software users, version 5.4 brings selection colors, multiple parameter nodes, and the ability to compare different models and apps. Learn more about these and other COMSOL Desktop® updates below.
Assign colors to all types of selections, both under definitions and in the geometry sequence. This can be used to make it easier to navigate larger geometries in the graphics window by showing the structure of the geometry more clearly. The selections use color themes, another new addition. Color themes control the default colors available when coloring selection nodes in the Model Builder tree as well as the default color of the geometry and the selection highlight. Several color themes are included in the software: Basic, Dark, Light, RYB, COMSOL (shown in associated image), and Default. You can also create your own color themes for a custom look that fits your specific needs. Select the color theme in the Model Builder root node's Graphics section or by going to Preferences > Graphics and Plot Windows > Visualization > Color theme.
You can find color selections in, for example, the following models:
Multiple Parameter Nodes
Do you have trouble keeping track of parameters in your model? Now you can structure them better by creating multiple Parameters nodes. In addition, Parameters nodes support cases, which let you switch between different sets of parameter values without importing and exporting them to file. You can also sweep over cases in the Parametric Sweep study step.
You can see this feature being used in the following applications:
- petzval_lens_stop_analysis_isothermal (New)
- petzval_lens_stop_analysis (New)
You can create custom node groups in the Model Builder and Application Builder trees. This lets you create a more structured model or app, and can make large trees with lots of nodes easier to navigate. Node groups are available for definitions, physics, results, forms, and methods, among others.
You can see this feature in use in the following models:
Model and App Comparison
Comparing models allows for tracking differences in settings between a model open for editing and a model saved on disk. With the model comparison tool, it is easy to track changes that, for example, caused a solution to show a significantly different result. The same functionality is also available for apps.
- The Find dialog box has a new Advanced tab for more specific searches, narrowed to a node label, description, or a setting with a particular name, reducing the number of unwanted matches
- Save or share your preferences more easily by using the new Import and Export buttons located at the bottom of the Preferences window
- A new option for the Filter List button in the Selection List window allows you to show only applicable entities, joining the Only List Selected and Only List Visible options
- Most tables, including Parameters and Variables, now support multiselection, allowing you to copy, paste, move, or delete multiple rows at the same time
- Timestamps have been added to the Messages window to make it easier to track information from the software (can be disabled in Preferences > General > Log and messages)