Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Dirichlet and Neumann BC for a boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,
I have a question maybe simple one. How can I define 2 boundary conditions for one boundary? one Dirichlet Bc and one Neumann bc for the entrance? I'm working with PDE module and I want to set both flux (by Neumann bc ) and state (by Neumann BC ) at the interance because I know both. by state I mean I know the value of my dependent variable at the entrance.
In comsol 3.5a I see that I either can select Dirichlet OR Neumann NOT BOTH.

Many thanks in advance,
Elham

2 Replies Last Post Feb 8, 2011, 8:08 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 8, 2011, 7:16 a.m. EST
Hi

you can't. This would be an overdeterminacy.

Setting up a dirichlet BC implies a neumann BC with the lagrange multiplier. So the flux (neuman BC) is calculated to balance the prescribed direct value of your dependant variable.

In other words: if you use a Dirichlet BC you are already setting up a Neumann BC as well - but you can't see it directly. In postprocessing mode you have access to these lagrange multipliers using the reacf() Operator.

kind regards
Hi you can't. This would be an overdeterminacy. Setting up a dirichlet BC implies a neumann BC with the lagrange multiplier. So the flux (neuman BC) is calculated to balance the prescribed direct value of your dependant variable. In other words: if you use a Dirichlet BC you are already setting up a Neumann BC as well - but you can't see it directly. In postprocessing mode you have access to these lagrange multipliers using the reacf() Operator. kind regards

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 8, 2011, 8:08 a.m. EST
Thanks Kia for your help. I agree with you.
Regards,
Elham
Thanks Kia for your help. I agree with you. Regards, Elham

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.