Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

comsol script

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello,

i am trying to use the COMSOL script option but i cant find it anywhere? Can anyone help me?

i am using comsol version 4.1 but also have comsol 3.3.

Thanks

5 Replies Last Post Feb 23, 2011, 8:03 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 22, 2011, 9:59 a.m. EST
Hi

there is no script anymore.
That changed in v3.5a (due to some legal copyright or patent issues, nothing to do with science, but still, I wounder how much somebody will be ready to pay if someone patented and sold the right about writing analytical math equations, some people seem to be trying ;)

So, more seriously, you must use matlab or Java for v4

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there is no script anymore. That changed in v3.5a (due to some legal copyright or patent issues, nothing to do with science, but still, I wounder how much somebody will be ready to pay if someone patented and sold the right about writing analytical math equations, some people seem to be trying ;) So, more seriously, you must use matlab or Java for v4 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 22, 2011, 10:02 a.m. EST
I have version 3.3 also and it isnt on there either?

I am not very good with matlab but once you have connected the two programs together should it just work from there or do i have to do something else? The code i used in matlab keeps giving me an error and im not sure if matlab is reading my comsol file or not.

Kelly
I have version 3.3 also and it isnt on there either? I am not very good with matlab but once you have connected the two programs together should it just work from there or do i have to do something else? The code i used in matlab keeps giving me an error and im not sure if matlab is reading my comsol file or not. Kelly

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 22, 2011, 11:11 a.m. EST
Hi

Sorry but 3.3 is really too old, cannot remember how it went ;) You need to go back to the doc I'm afraid, and test out the basics

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Sorry but 3.3 is really too old, cannot remember how it went ;) You need to go back to the doc I'm afraid, and test out the basics -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 23, 2011, 7:15 a.m. EST
Hello, Kelly:

As far as I know, Script (when it existed, before COMSOL version 4) needed a particular license. But, in COMSOL versions prior to 4, you could (can) use MATLAB with no aditional charge (from COMSOL). Al least in version 3.5, in "File / Client-ServerMATLAB / Connect to MATLAB" you can run MATLAB connected to COMSOL, or directly run both: "COMSOL 3.x with MATLAB". For this, you must have specified previously MATLAB path (typically at installation time). From COMSOL you can, for instance, export a "fem" structure directly to MATLAB, analyse there and many more things ... (I liked running my simulation from MATLAB: this can be easily made by saving your model as .m and opening ---and editing if you want--- it in MATLAB).

Good luck.

Jesus.
Hello, Kelly: As far as I know, Script (when it existed, before COMSOL version 4) needed a particular license. But, in COMSOL versions prior to 4, you could (can) use MATLAB with no aditional charge (from COMSOL). Al least in version 3.5, in "File / Client-ServerMATLAB / Connect to MATLAB" you can run MATLAB connected to COMSOL, or directly run both: "COMSOL 3.x with MATLAB". For this, you must have specified previously MATLAB path (typically at installation time). From COMSOL you can, for instance, export a "fem" structure directly to MATLAB, analyse there and many more things ... (I liked running my simulation from MATLAB: this can be easily made by saving your model as .m and opening ---and editing if you want--- it in MATLAB). Good luck. Jesus.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 23, 2011, 8:03 a.m. EST
Starting at version 4.0, interfacing COMSOL to MATLAB is an optional capability provided with the product called "LiveLink for MATLAB". See www.comsol.com/products/livelink-matlab/ .
Jeff
Starting at version 4.0, interfacing COMSOL to MATLAB is an optional capability provided with the product called "LiveLink for MATLAB". See http://www.comsol.com/products/livelink-matlab/ . Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.