Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

solid to solid radiation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I model a furnace. It is a tube. A part of this tube's wall is the heated area of the furnace. The temperature of inside of the tube reads 900 C, so that the heat transfer mechanism from tube's internal wall to all components inside the tube (two beams and cups) is radiation.

For this modeling, I am using Conjugate Heat Transfer module (because inside the tube there is a laminar air flow passing, and I am interested in both velocity and temperature profiles inside the furnace).

In order to include radiation heat transfer from tube's wall to tube's internal parts, should I add a surface cylinder to my geometry then say the radiation is from this surface to .... (but in this way no material I could add to this surface [to be able to count for view factor and so ...]), or I should make two solid cylinder and substract them from each other to make a shell then it is possible to add material of construction to this wall, or even none of above mentioned ways but just work with workplace ?

I attached my geometry for better understanding here.

I really appreciate any kind help.

4 Replies Last Post May 4, 2011, 11:06 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 3, 2011, 7:24 a.m. EDT
Hi

if you have a tube inside a tube and you are interested in the heat exchange by radiation between the tubes, AND the tubes are "long" compared to their diameter a radiation to ambient should do since you have a nice symmetric case and the view factors will cancel out. This is valid for a starting simulation.

If you need to go further into details, then you could consider drawing the external exchange surfaces.

Anyhow it's worht to do a little hand calculations too, to check your model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have a tube inside a tube and you are interested in the heat exchange by radiation between the tubes, AND the tubes are "long" compared to their diameter a radiation to ambient should do since you have a nice symmetric case and the view factors will cancel out. This is valid for a starting simulation. If you need to go further into details, then you could consider drawing the external exchange surfaces. Anyhow it's worht to do a little hand calculations too, to check your model -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 3, 2011, 7:44 a.m. EDT
Dear Ivar,

Many thanks for your kind reply.
I think I didn't explain my case well or maybe you misunderstood.

There are no "two tubes" here !
I have only a tube which you can see in both pictures, and a part of the wall of this tube is getting hot and radiates the heat to the internal components (two beams and cups at the end of them).

Now I want to introduce this radiation from this part of tube wall to internal tube. This is while inside the tube I have laminar air flow+two beams (from Alumina)+two cups at the end of the beams (from Alumina)+a carbon sample inside one of the cups. (I attach my model to see it better). So that each of these parts (air,beams,cups, carbon) will adsorb the radiated heat from the wall according to its own view factor compare to wall material of construction.

But how to add material of the construction to wall?? This is the challenge for me!
Shall I make a solid shell? shal I make a surface cylinder? shall I not make any wall (cylinder) but work with my work place wich is the same position as the tube wall?

I attach you two works, one I made a surface cylinder, another I made a solid shell.

Dear Ivar, Many thanks for your kind reply. I think I didn't explain my case well or maybe you misunderstood. There are no "two tubes" here ! I have only a tube which you can see in both pictures, and a part of the wall of this tube is getting hot and radiates the heat to the internal components (two beams and cups at the end of them). Now I want to introduce this radiation from this part of tube wall to internal tube. This is while inside the tube I have laminar air flow+two beams (from Alumina)+two cups at the end of the beams (from Alumina)+a carbon sample inside one of the cups. (I attach my model to see it better). So that each of these parts (air,beams,cups, carbon) will adsorb the radiated heat from the wall according to its own view factor compare to wall material of construction. But how to add material of the construction to wall?? This is the challenge for me! Shall I make a solid shell? shal I make a surface cylinder? shall I not make any wall (cylinder) but work with my work place wich is the same position as the tube wall? I attach you two works, one I made a surface cylinder, another I made a solid shell.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 4, 2011, 4:47 a.m. EDT
Does anybody know how I can find "surface-to-surface radiation" under "Conjugate Heat Transfer>Heat Transfer" ??

Because when I click right "Conjugate Heat Trasfer" I can just see "Surface to ambient radiation" but no "surface to surface radiation" !!!
Does anybody know how I can find "surface-to-surface radiation" under "Conjugate Heat Transfer>Heat Transfer" ?? Because when I click right "Conjugate Heat Trasfer" I can just see "Surface to ambient radiation" but no "surface to surface radiation" !!!

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago May 4, 2011, 11:06 p.m. EDT
I believe surface-to-surface radiation is only available in the Heat Transfer Module.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
I believe surface-to-surface radiation is only available in the Heat Transfer Module. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.