Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

import CAD files

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello,
I've tried comsol and I tried to import a CAD file in step format (*.STP) created from Rhinoceros 3D export.
the model is a bog pipe which is crossed by a smaller one and the model looks like a T. My problem is that the common section between the 2 pipes is a hole on my model and in comsol multyphysics after being imported, this crossed section is filled with littles surfaces.
And If I try with parasolid format *.x_t I've got a message "the geometry contains an entity without manifold)

Do someone know why ?
thanks for your help

3 Replies Last Post May 9, 2011, 5:03 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 8, 2011, 4:34 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I have been having a lot of issues with the CAD importer and so far I have not received an answer from support yet.
Mostly Comsol sees separated surfaces where there should be an only one.
Off the top of my head I would say try using the Comsol design tool which I think can handle th egeometry you have.

Cheers
Hi, I have been having a lot of issues with the CAD importer and so far I have not received an answer from support yet. Mostly Comsol sees separated surfaces where there should be an only one. Off the top of my head I would say try using the Comsol design tool which I think can handle th egeometry you have. Cheers

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 8, 2011, 5:58 p.m. EDT
Hi

I have no problems with CAD import, provided I import solids and not shell surfaces, as these are not easy to knit correctly together (neither for COMSOL nor for any other programme), I suspect that in your options you have a surface and not volume export option active

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have no problems with CAD import, provided I import solids and not shell surfaces, as these are not easy to knit correctly together (neither for COMSOL nor for any other programme), I suspect that in your options you have a surface and not volume export option active -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 9, 2011, 5:03 p.m. EDT
thank you,

But i've checked if there was an option like this in Rhino and I didn't find that.
I will check again.
thank you, But i've checked if there was an option like this in Rhino and I didn't find that. I will check again.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.