Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parametrized curve in COMSOL 4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody !

Hi have a 2D ring and i would like to plot the pressure in the interior boundary.

In comsol 3.5 i could do it very easily but with the new version I don't manage to do it anymore.

I tried to use a parametrized curve like this :
x = ri*cos(theta)
y= ri*cos(theta)
with theta a function of x and y.
But all i have is an error.

I also tried to use "phi" from cylindrical coordinates but i don't manage to use this variable.

How could i resolve this problem ?

Vince.

2 Replies Last Post Feb 9, 2012, 10:07 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 13, 2011, 1:14 p.m. EDT
I'm not superexpert, but I just did something similar in a 3D model and it worked.

What you have to do first of all is to define a cylindrical coordinate system by right clicking on the definitions subnode of the model node (see details in the documentation). If you don't change it, the new coordinate system will have a name like sys2 (or similar). The coordinates will be r, phi, a.

Now, you can refer to the new angular coordinate using sys2.phi, and defining your parametric curve should be straightforward.

BTW, I believe that in your particular case you don't really need a parametrized curve. You can define a data set valid on the boundary by right clicking the data set node and selecting "2d edge"...

Hope it helps

Giacomo
I'm not superexpert, but I just did something similar in a 3D model and it worked. What you have to do first of all is to define a cylindrical coordinate system by right clicking on the definitions subnode of the model node (see details in the documentation). If you don't change it, the new coordinate system will have a name like sys2 (or similar). The coordinates will be r, phi, a. Now, you can refer to the new angular coordinate using sys2.phi, and defining your parametric curve should be straightforward. BTW, I believe that in your particular case you don't really need a parametrized curve. You can define a data set valid on the boundary by right clicking the data set node and selecting "2d edge"... Hope it helps Giacomo

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 9, 2012, 10:07 p.m. EST
I want to get the models in details in documentation about parametric curves
thank you!
I want to get the models in details in documentation about parametric curves thank you!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.